To latest comment

Do I have to wait for registration to be complete to apply for parental benefit?

When can I apply for parental benefits?.. and few more (original title)
My family (Me, My wife, Child( 1yr)) are registered with Skatteverket  and each of us have a allocated personal number and we have applied for registration with Forsakringskassan on 17th Jan 2017, I am still waiting  for a  registration confirmation from them.

My Questions are 1> Do I have to wait to apply for Parental benefits, child benefits, till I get a confirmation from Forsakringskassan?
2>  Can we fill the form online ?
3> Do I have to open a seperate Bank account for my wife, as she is the one applying for it?


  • Hello!

    You do not have to wait for confirmation if you have been registered in Försäkringskassan. The general rule is that a person can be registered only when they apply for something. In case like that it is actually advisable to send the application for parental benefit as soon as possible in order to speed up the registration process.

    After you have been registered, the case for child allowance will start automatically. However, in order to apply for parental benefit, you have to send us an application where you choose the child that you want to apply for and period when you will take care of that child. The application for parental benefit can be filled out electronically on our website on Mina sidor or in paper form. The paper form can be ordered while making notification here.

    If it is your wife who is applying and she does not have her own bank account and neither Bank ID that would allow her to apply electronically, then it is best if you open a separate bank account. It will be easier to apply for the benefits and keep track of payments in a long run. If it is not possible to open bank account for your wife at this point of time, she can always send us a paper application. If she does not write any bank account number on the form, we will send her checks to the home address. In case she does not wish to receive checks, she can always fill out another application 5606 Fullmakt Utbetalning till annan person which would allow us to send her payments to your bank account.

    Best regards,
    Natalia Specialist
  • Thanks Natalia,

    So I have raised a request for paper form by providing the Personal number of my wife and kid.

    And I have downloaded the form  5606 Fullmakt Utbetalning till annan person, and I will send the updated forms together.

    Hope I got it right, or if we need to do some additional stuff , let us know.

  • Hello Manny!

    On this forum we can only give you general information. If you would like to know what is going on with your case or your wife's case, it is best if you contact our Customer Centre for private individuals on the telephone number 0771-524 524.

    There, you can always ask about status of your case and if we have received all the documents that you sent to us. If you are calling to ask about your wife's cases, please remember that she has to be next to you to be able to confirm that she agrees that we give you information about her case.

    If it is not possible for her to be present during the conversation is it also possible that she fills out application to give you permission to speak on her behalf and ask about her cases. The application is called Nr 5607 Fullmakt för ombud and is available here.

    Best regards,
    Natalia Specialist
  • Hi
    IF iam expecting à baby at end of oktober 2017! And i Want to Apply For parental benefit from September 2017 is that possible? I donot have an
    E-id . So kan the forsakringkassa give Me paper that prove i Will get parental benfit so i could Apply for à bank account here in Sweden since Iam registered at the skattverket but the bank personalen said I cannot open an account unless prove I have a source for the money I will get
  • Hello,

    If you are pregnant, you can receive parental benefit starting on the 60th day before your baby is due. If you do not have bankID, you need to contact our Customer Service on: 0771 524 524 (service available in Swedish and English) or visit one of our offices to order the parental benefit application via the paper form or any other necessary documents.

    Keep in mind that the payments of parental benefit can be done only if you are registered at Försäkringskassan. Check if you are registered, if not send us and application 5456 „Utredning av försäkringstillhöringhet” with the relevant attachments that are listed under point 11 on the form.

    Best regards,
  • Hello,
    Me and my family will be here for 11 months starting from february 22, 2018. Can we apply for benefits for child and non working dependent ?

    Best Regards

  • Hello!

    For you to be eligible for receiving social benefits from Försäkringskassan, you should be socially insured in Sweden. Being insured in Sweden means that you are covered by the Swedish social insurance system and are entitled to various kinds of benefits. Försäkringskassan decides whether you are insured in Sweden and are entitled to benefits. To receive a benefit, you must also satisfy the criteria that apply for that particular benefit. Some of the benefits are based on residency and others on work.

    If you reside in Sweden for longer than one year, you are usually insured for residence-based benefits. However, if you reside in Sweden less than one year and you do not work in Sweden, you will not be eligible for social benefits from Försäkringskassan.

    If you work in Sweden, you are insured for work-based benefits. Your work-based insurance usually expires three months after your work in Sweden is considered to have concluded. However, in some cases the insurance period can be longer or shorter than three months.

    For more information please follow this link.

    Best regards,
  • Hello,

    How many months does it takes to get registered with Försäkringskassan ?

  • Hello,

    Unfortunately the processing time for registration cases are very long at the moment. We do not have specific / fixed processing time when it comes to registration but it can take up to 10 months. However, it depends very much on what kind of benefit/compensation you need from Försäkringskassan.

    Best regards,
  • I work here in sweden as permanent employee but I have co ordination no.can I get parental benefit with it?
  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post. If a person is socially insured in Sweden parental benefit kan be paid out even if the person have a coordiation number. Since some other factors can affect your situation we recommend you to contact our customer center to get more information.

    You can call on 0771 524 524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm

    Best regards,

    Adem Administrative officer
  • I work here and pay taxes does that mean I am socially insured?
  • Hej!

    It's been 7 months since I applied for the registration(5456) and awaiting the decision. I urgently need EURO health card for my business travel, can I get it or is it ok to travel without it?

  • Hello Vikram,

    Thank you for your post. The department of registration have very long waiting period due to very big work load. You can travel with out EU card but in case you are sick and need the card urgently then you have two options.

    1. You can pay the expenses for the treatment and save all the invoice and other documents of the treatment. Then you can apply for reimbursement of your expenses when you are back to Sweden.

    2. You can call ( +46 771 524 524 for english press 8) and inform us that you need the card urgently and we try our best to send you a temporary certificate which replaces the card via fax to the hospital.

    Remember that you always have to pay the patient fee in all the countries with the same amount that is applied in each EU country.

    Best regards,
    Adem Administrative officer
  • Hi,
    i have been working in sweden from feb 1st my employment contract ends by end of this month which is july 31st and since i am pregnant i want to how the parental benefit is calculated and also should i register for the parental benefit now with my current income or should i wait until my employment ends since the form asks questions like annual income and hours i work in a year since i was in probation how do i fill out those questions?
  • Hello!

    Thank you for your post!

    In regards to your question about general information on the calculation of parental benefit and how you can apply for parental benefit is available here in English.

    You can apply for parental benefits, according to the annual income you have and hours you work per year with your employer.

    Since it is a public forum, it is difficult for us to answer to questions regarding specific cases.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 3.00 pm (summer opening hours)

    Best Regards,
    Helen Administrative officer
The post is closed to further comments.