To latest comment

What is included in basic/standard insurance?


I'm considering to accept a position as postdoctoral researcher at Karolinska Institute.

My understanding is, that the position is paid by the institute as a stipend, thus also tax-free. I'm wondering if I will still be covered by försäkningskassan? If so, what specifically is included; healthcare, dental, sick-leave/parental leave, etc. ?

Additionally I was wondering if I need to do anything with regards to registration, before my arrival in Sweden.

Thank you in advance,

best regards


  • Hi Ragna,

    If the position extends one year, you will need to register at the Swedish Tax Agency so you can get your personal number. You are covered by the Swedish health insurance once you receive Swedish personal number (personnummer) from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

    If you have a Swedish personal number, you do not have to register for Social Insurance until you need a benefit, for example if you are planning to see a dentist or planning parental leave.

    If you have a Swedish personal identity number and get registered at the Social Insurance Agency, you will have access to the benefits provided by Försäkringskassan, including reduced dental care costs, parental leave and European Health Insurance Card. To read more about the all the benefits we provide please visit our website. You can find the link here.

    If you wish to register with Försäkringskassan , please fill in the form "5456 Registration information" which you can find in our website and send it to us. It is important that you request a benefit in the while you fill out the form. You should also have a Swedish personal number or coordination number. Please send a copy of the certificate confirming study grant (utbildningsbidrag) if you are a doctoral student when sending us the application.

    Best regards,

  • Hi Francisco,

    Is there any way to find out, which incidents will be covered by the Swedish health insurance in advance? E.g. is a visit at the denist in case of toothache covered?

    Additionally I'd like to know, if I can register with a Swedish Personal number to Social Insurance, although only being employed via a tax-free stipend?
    And if so, does registering require voluntary payments, to have access to benefits provided by the Social Insurance in this case?

    Thanks and best regards,

  • Hi Ragna,

    Please visit our website to read about all our benefits, it will provide information, specifics and examples about the each benefit. The specific information about The Dental Care Subsidy you can find here.

    If you are receiving a study grant for a doctoral position, the general rule is that you are considered as a resident of Sweden, and therefore eligible for Swedish Social Insurance.

    The registration to be covered by Swedish Social Insurance does not require any payments .

    Best regards,

  • Hi, Team!

    I'm about to start my 2 year Master programme in Sweden. I'm a student from outside the EU. As I understand, once I receive a personal identity number, I’ll be entitled to all healthcare and pay Swedish patient fees. I have recently undergone a medical treatment and will require monthly checkups and chemotherapy infusions for the next year. I will also require a very specific medicine. How can I find out if patients like myself can receive this level of medical assistance while studying and living in Sweden?

    Thank you in advance

  • Hello Olia,

    Once you are registered in Sweden, you are generally entitled to health care under the same conditions as other residents of Sweden. In case, you have more specific questions about what kind of health care you can receive in Sweden, you should contact your landstinget.

    You can also find more information in English here .

    Best regards,

    Natalia Specialist
  • Hi there!

    My name is Hayley, I am here in Sweden on a one year working holiday visa, I have applied for my coordination number at the skatteverket. I am wondering if i qualify for social insurance with a coordination number? Thank you for your time ☺️
  • Hi;

    If you are in Sweden legally and work here you might have the right to be socially insured with a co-ordination number. Follow the instructions on the first post of this thread to register if you want to receive any benefits from us, and we will make a decision.

    Best regards;
  • Could F-kassan please have the brochure "Socialförsäkringen" translated into English? We're a huge employer, with a lot of international staff coming here, and it would be an enormous help when explaining our system.
    Hopeful regards,
    Åsa, HR-coordinator at Lund University
  • Hello,

    The brochure is only available in Swedish.
    However, you can find more information here in English which you can refer to.

    Best regards,
  • Hej,
    I am a postdoctoral researcher at Uppsala University. However, I am not employed by the University, but I am paid from a scholarship (stipendium), and this income is therefore tax-free.
    How does it work in case I need parental leave benefit? Does this income count for receiving the benefit? In other words, does this position as a postdoctoral researcher count as employment?
    Thank you in advance,
  • Hi Maria
    Normally scholarship-financed doctoral/postdoctoral positions are not considered as employment posts and do not give one the right to get social benefits.

    Best regards,
  • Hello,
    I am a European citizen. I came to Sweden two years ago to live with my partner. In Sweden I registered with skatteverket as self sufficient EU citizen, as it was quicker to get ID number that way. To do that I had to provide private health insurance to skatteverket, which I have till now. Now I recieved uppehålltillstånd (residence permit) on the ground that I live with my partner (a swedish citizen). I am not registered with försäkningskassa. So I have few questions:
    1. Am I covered by the public swedish health coverige (I am not enployed) Even if I am not registered with försäknigdkassa? Or should I pay a full amount if I need treatment and it is better to keep a private insurance?
    2. Do I need to update my new immigration status with skatteverket in order to be covered by public health care? (Cause one of confitions to get ID number was that i shoulf have private health insurance) I ask this as I recieve different answers from migration agency and skatteverket depending on a person I speak with.
    3. Depending on my status in Sweden (i am not working and have residence permit to live with my sambo, and am EU citizen) can I get European health insurance car

    thank you for your answer.
  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post! We might need more information on your situation before we could reply your question. However, this is a public forum where we reply only to general questions in English.

    Therefore, we advice you to contact our customer center by calling to 0771 524 524 (For English press 8) to get reply to your specific question.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm

    Best regards,

    Adem Administrative officer
The post is closed to further comments.