To latest comment

Swedish insurance in European Union (sick leave etc.)

Dear All,
I am writing you to inquire about the swedish insurance.
I have been working in Sweden since 2011. I have swedish citizienship, swedish health insurance and a pernament job. I am from Poland and I usually spend holiday in my native country.
If I get injured, ill or have an accident in Poland and I need to go to the doctor to be examined, the doctor will prescribe my medicine and give me sick leave or even if I need to go to hospital due to this accident. Therefore, I am not able to come back to Sweden due to this, because I would like to fully recover.
I would like to add that I possess 'Europejska sjukförsäkringskortet'. It seemingly allows me to be admitted to the hospital

In that case, If I get sick leave from a polish doctor, will swedish insurance accept it in order to provide me with sickess benefit?

If so, which kind of document do I need to fill out to proceed with it?
Could you please provide me with this document, for example the number of it or link?

I would appreciate it if you could instruct myself how to deal with it.

I am looking forward to receiving feedback from you.

Thank you,


  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post.

    The process of applying for the sickness benefit is the same with foreign medical certificate as it is with the Swedish.

    You can read more about sickness benefit here.

    It is important to make sure that the foreign medical certificate contains the same information as the Swedish one.

    The medical certificate needs to contain information about the period of the sickness, percentage of the inability to work, diagnosis (code ICD-10), individual symptoms and prognosis of your comback to work.

    Best Regards,
    Barbara Administrative officer
  • Hello Barbara,
    thank you for your information.
    I would like to inquire about this foreign medical certificate.
    Could you please tell me where I am able to find this certificate?
    Should I tell a doctor about my Swedish health insurance at the beginning?
    Could you please explain my this procedure deeply?

    If a polish doctor prescribes this certificate and contains this information (inc. the period of the sickness, percentage of the inability to work, diagnosis (code ICD-10), individual symptoms and prognosis of your comeback to work.) in Polish language, will it be acceptable for Swedish health insurance in Sweden?

    If I provide a doctor with this certificate, then a doctor writes this all information on this certificate with respect to your requirements, will it be acceptable and approved by Swedish Health Insurance?.
    Do I understand it correctly?

    Thank you for your patience,
    I am looking forward to receiving feedback from you.
  • Hello Lukasz,

    Thank you for your post.

    • Click here to open a PDF template of the medical certificate for the sickness benefit. 
    • If you are insured in Sweden and if (as you have mentioned) have the European Health Insurance card, we advise you to inform the medical center about it. Please note that, the European Health Insurance card only covers medical and dental care that:

      1. cannot wait until you return to Sweden
      2. you receive from a care provider connected to the public healthcare system in that country.
    • You can find more detailed information on how to receive emergency care when you are abroad here on our website.
    • Yes, Försäkringskassan can also accept medical certificates that are issued in other languages than Swedish. As my colleague has stated in the previous thread, it is however important that the certificate contains the necessary information that Försäkringskassan needs in order to process a sickness benefit case.
    • You can find more detailed information (in Swedish) on what a Medical certificate should contain, if you click on this link

    Kind regards,

    Semir Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.