To latest comment
This entry is old and may contain information that is not up-to-date.

10 days temporary parental leave - at birth of child

Hej! I need to speak to someone about my 10-day temporary parental leave (my partner lives in the UK and does not have a Swedish personnummer, so I can't apply online), but my Swedish isn't good enough to navigate the automated telephone system to get through to speak to someone. When I tried using the email form, it doesn't seem to be working properly.

I wondered if there was an address that I could email and request for someone to phone me?

Thanks in advance!


  • Hello,
    Thank you for your post.

    We will be happy to assist you, if you contact our Customer Centre for private individuals on the telephone number 0771-524 524 (press 8 for English).
    Opening hours of Customer Centre: Monday-Friday: 8:00-16.00

    The non-pregnant parent can receive compensation for 10 days of leave in connection with the birth of a child but that parent have to be socially insured in Sweden.
    In order to be socially insured or registered at Försäkringskassan you need to send us form FK5456 with relevant attachments that are listed on the form in section 11.
    If you would like to know whether you are registered at Försäkringskassan or socially insured in Sweden, please contact us.
    The parent also needs to refrain from working or collecting unemployment benefits during the 10 days and those 10 days have to be used before 60 days have passed since returning home after the child's birth

    If you need more information about the 10-days, you can read about it in English here.

    Best regards

  • Hi,

    There is two different number of days mention on the 10 days ledig. One is 60 days and the other is 90 days. It is very ambiguous to understand what is the difference between the two as both are described as the parent has to apply the 10 days before 60/90n days.

    Kindly make it clear that what 60 days are for and what 90 days are for?

    Thank you.
  • Hello,

    Thank you for your question.
    On our webpage it says:

    “You must take out the 10 days within 60 days from returning home from the delivery. Remember to apply no more than 90 days from the first day you were home with the child.”

    For example, if you return home from the delivery 1st of March, you need to “take out”/”mark” the days within the period of 60 days, until the end of April.

    However, you can send in your application to Försäkringskassan at the latest within 90 days from 1st of February, which is till the end of May.

    I hope it is clearer now.

    Best regards,

    Özge Administrative officer
  • Please am swedish citizen but I live in Denmark with my children but they are not swedish citizen but Ghanaian and I want to apply swedish citizen for them in the police,but what do i need to apply from försakringskassan before I can go on?
  • Hello Stephen,
    thank you for your post. You can read about moving to, working and studying in Sweden here.
    However, if you are registered in Denmark, it is Udbetaling, the equivalent of Försäkringskassan, you should contact.
    Kind regards,
    Fredrik Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.