To latest comment

Staying in another EU country while on parental leave


I have a permanent residence permit and am employed in Sweden.  I have applied for EU health insurance card recently and I have also registered for parental benefits by sending my pregnancy certificate and income details.  I am planning to go on parental leave starting this summer, soon after my child is born. While on parental leave, I would like to stay with my husband who currently works in Germany. My questions are:
1. Am I allowed to stay in another EU country while on parental leave in Sweden, and if yes, for how long?
2. Are me and my child going to have health insurance while staying in another EU country?

Thank you very much for your help,


Anna Report inappropriate content


  • Hello Anna,

    You are allowed to stay in another EU country up to one year and still be eligible to receive parental benefit from Sweden.

    When you and your child have EU cards then you both have the right to the necessary medical care while you are in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland.

    In some cases, you might be even eligible for planned medical treatment abroad. More information about that you will find here.

    Best regards,

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.