Special Needs Child

Hi I am thinking of moving to Sweden and wanted to know if my 13yr old daughter will get support for her Speech and Language Disorder. She has a Statement of Special Needs from the councils.  At present she has help with a teaching assistant and Speech and Language Therapist.  Is there anything I need to consider before I make a final decision.


  • Hello,

    If you are planning on moving to Sweden and staying here at least one year, you must generally be registered into the Swedish population register (folkbokföring). You do this by registering with The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

    Once you and your daughter are registered in Sweden, you are generally entitled to healthcare under the same conditions as other residents of Sweden. This means that you pay the regular Swedish patient fee for all care. Click here to go to The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverkets) website.

    County council (Landstinget) is responsible for the healthcare in Sweden. Contact them in order for you to find out if you can get any support for your daughter.
    To find more information about Swedish Healthcare please click here.

    You might also apply for childcare allowance (vårdbidrag) from Försäkringskassan when you are caring for a child with disability or a long-term illness. More about that, you can find here.

    Best regards,

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.