To latest comment

Can someone with a residence permit valid for less than a year be socially insured in Sweden?

Social Insurance for dependents without personnummer (original headline)
Background information:
I have a permanent contract at a company in Sweden and I have a personnummer. My current residence permit is valid until January 2022 am I am in Sweden currently.

I plan to bring my wife and my now 2 months old kid to Sweden around March 2021, by applying for their residence permit now.

My Question:

If my wife and my kid receive a residence permit for less than a year (as mine will expire in January 2021) do they receive social insurance based on my residence permit, in case Skattaverket does not provide a personnummer for them?


  • Hello Vinod,
    thank you for your post.
    Generally, one can not be socially insured in Sweden with a residence permit valid for less than a year. However, there are in some circumstances exceptions to that rule.
    We are going to need more information from you in order to answer your question correctly. Please call our Customer Centre at: 0771 - 524 524 (press #8 for English)
    Opening hours: Mo - Fr: 08.00-15.00.

    Kind regards,
    Fredrik Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.