To latest comment

Should I register to Försäkringskassan ? (french worker in Sweden)


I'm a french engineer, working in Sweden since several months. I have also my personnumer. I have a hard time to understand the goal of Försäkringskassan, and if I have to register or not.

First thing I would like to confirm : Am I covered by the Swedish health insurance with my personnumer ? (By covered, I mean, if I'm sick, if I have a prescription, or if I break my leg in Sweden, will I have to pay something ?). Can I register to a Vårdcentral ?

Since I'm now working in Sweden, and that I am (I think) covered by the Swedish health insurance, I wanted to ask my European Healt Insurance Card (EHIC), because I will sometimes come back in France to see my family. I have an error when I try to order it online : if I understand, I need to register to Försäkringskassan by sending the form 5456. The problem is I must provide "a certificate showing that you are no longer covered by that country's (France) social security", which is not possible, since I am still covered by the French social security (I plan to cancel it when I come back in France in December, I wanted to have my personnumer first to not find myself without social protection in the meantime). I have also a lot of business trip with my company in Europe, and I would prefer to be "safe" in case of accident outside of Sweden. What should I do ?

Assuming I don't ask the EHIC, and I have medical fees in France during my vacations for instance, could I ask the refund at Försäkringskassan after my return in Sweden if I have a care bill ? (I heard a lot of people say the EHIC is refused most of the time anyway, and they have to be refund later)

About dental care, it's supposed to be free until 24 (I'm 23), do I have to register to Försäkringskassan to have free dental care ? What will happen if I take an appointment tomorrow for instance, will I have to pay ?

I apologize for all these questions, I'm completly lost ... Thank you all in advance for your help.


Clément Report inappropriate content


  • Hello,

    You should be social insured in the country where you are working and you can not be social insured at two countries at the same time. You do not automatically become registered at Försäkringskassan, you need to fill the form 5456 (“Information for registration”) to apply for the registration. If you would like to apply for the EU-card, you should write this information in the other information field in the form. At the end of the form, you will find which kind of enclosures Försäkringskassan might need for the registration such as the copy of the employment contract (in some cases also a certificate showing that you are not covered by the social insurance in your previous country). You can also fill the form electronically if you have bank-ID or mobile bank-ID. You can find more information here and here.

    Once you have a personal ID-number and registered your address at Skatteverket as resident in Sweden, you are entitled to medical under the same terms as others who live in Sweden. This means that you pay the standard Swedish patient fee for medical care. If you have any questions concerning medical care in Sweden, pls. contact Landstinget.

    In order to be eligible for dental care subsidy, you need to be registered at Försäkringskassan. Before the registration is done, you might have to pay the whole cost yourself. You can find more information here.

    Once you are registered, you can apply for retrospective compensation from Försäkringskassan for medical care within EU/EES by filling a form. You can find more information here.

    The Swedish Social Insurance Agency has limited abilities to answer questions relating to individual cases on this forum. We therefore ask you to contact our customer center if you have questions relating to your specific case by calling telephone number 0771 524524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:
    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm,

    Best regards,


Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.