To latest comment

When can I apply for the disease carrier allowance?

Replacement for lost earnings due to Covid-19 (Original title)


I am very confused about how things work with regards to receiving money to replace lost earnings.

Last October, I had to stay home as my partner had Covid-19 and then I got it myself. I was off work for 10 days. I received a doctor's certificate for this time, however, I have no idea how to claim this back. Could someone help me?

Also, I am off sick again today with cold symptoms, am I able to claim back the first day of sickness (is it "karensavdrag"?).

Thank you!



  • Hello Tracy,

    If you are unable to work because you are – or may be – infected with a disease that is considered a public health hazard, such as covid-19, you may receive disease carrier's benefit.

    This applies also if you live with someone that has been confirmed to be infected by covid-19.

    In case you are sick, you must report your sickness to your employer on the first day. You can apply for reimbursement for the deduction from sick pay during qualifying period (karensavdrag) if you are employed and have had a deduction of sick pay.

    Your employer pays you sick pay for the first 14 days of sickness. If you are sick for longer than 14 days you can apply for sickness benefit from Försäkringskassan from the 15th day.

    Best regards,
  • Hi Ida!

    I had to go into quarantine in October because my partner had Covid-19, then I got it myself. I have a doctor's certificate (that is already with Försäkringskassan) but I don't know how to claim for the ten days work I missed.

    Could you link the form I need to complete?

    Thank you!
    Tracy Morgan
  • Hello again,

    For the days that you were not allowed to work because your partner was confirmed to be infected by covid-19, you can apply for the disease carrier's allowance.

    You can apply for the disease carrier's allowance here if you have a Bank-ID.

    If you do not have a Bank-ID, you cal apply by printing out this form.

    From the day that you got sick, you report yourself sick to your employer as usual.

    Best regards,
  • Hi

    I had to go into 7 days quarantine in May ,since My family had to visit abroad for funeral of my father in law. Once we reached back we were unable to send my son to preschool during these days because he can be a carrier of infection.I couldn't work from home these 7 days,  Can I apply for disease carrier's allowance?

    Thank you!

  • Hello,

    Thank you for your question.

    The reason that you could not work was that you could not send your child to the preschool.

    If there is reason to suspect that your child was disease carrier, you can apply for VAB instead. It is a doctor or a nurse who decides whether your child can be suspected of spreading the covid-19.

    A doctor can also decide on rules of conduct (förhållningsregler) for the child in order to prevent the spread of covid-19.

    Best regards,

    Özge Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.