Public healthcare system


I've recently relocated to Sweden and I have a personnummer.
Can you please let me know if this means I'm automatically covered by the Swedish public healthcare system, meaning I'll pay the standard patient fee for medical care etc?

Also, I tried to order the EU card online but the order could not be completed - is this because I need to submit form FK 5456 in which I'll also specify I wish to apply for the EU card?

Many thanks!
Alexandra Report inappropriate content


  • Hello!

    Thank you for your post.

    Please be advised that health insurance and social insurance are two separate systems in Sweden. Försäkringskassan is the agency that is responsible for the social insurance.

    If you have any questions concerning medical care, please contact Landstinget (Region).

    You need to fill in the form 5456 and send in them to Försäkringskassan with the relevant documents that is listed on the last page so that we investigate if you will be covered by the social insurance in Sweden.

    Best Regards,
    Helen Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.