To latest comment

Number of days for parental leave benefit when you move from another country

Hi, We have a concern on the parental leave. We have come to Sweden on 15th of November and our kid will turn 4 on 14th June 2018.

Could you help me to understand the ways to make of use of the days?Shall we apply for Weekends? We normally work from Monday to Friday.

Whats the process to apply for Parental Leave?
Amna Report inappropriate content


  • Hello!

    The number of parental benefit days left for the child depends on which country you/child are from and how many days you received for parental benefits from that country. We will look at this once we receive your application for parental benefits.

    You can take out parental benefit up to and including the day the child turns 12 years old or when the child finishes form/grade 5 in compulsory school. But, from the child’s 4th birthday, you can only save 96 days in total.

    If you take out parental benefit on weekends only at the minimum level. But, you can only take out parental benefit at the sickness benefit level if you also take out parental benefit for the days directly before or directly after the days you would not normally have worked, like the weekend.

    You can register and apply by logging in to My pages (Mina sidor) or otherwise call our customer service. Remember to apply no later than 90 days after you have taken your first parental benefit day.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm,

    Best regards,
  • Hello,
    My ex-boyfriend lives and works in Sweden and I live in Belgium. Our child was born in Belgium and has never been to Sweden. 
    Can my ex-boyfriend apply for parental leave to come to Belgium  (we were not married)?
    If yes, what does he need to apply for parental leave and how many days will he get? (I want to take all my maternal leave days ) 
    Does he need the birth certificate and or the certificate that he is the father?
    Do I and the baby need to go with him to you to apply for his parental leave?
    I hope to hear from you.
    Best regards,

  • Hi;

    If your ex-boyfriend is registered as the child's legal guardian, he could have the right to parental benefit. In Sweden each legal guardian of the child has the right to 240 days of parental benefit, although this may change depending on the age of the child, and how many days of parental benefit the other parent takes out.

    You can find more information about how to apply for parental benefit here. In addition to the regular application process, we will require a copy of the child's birth certificate, a certificate that shows how many days of parental benefit you have received in Belgium, and a document that states that he is the legal guardian so that we can process the case.

    You and the baby do not need to go with him to make the application. You can find more information about taking out parental benefit abroad in this thread.

    Best regards 
  • Hi, if my child turns 4 years old this year,2019, can I still save 96 days?            Thank you!

    I hope to hear from you.
    Best regards,Mihaela
  • Hello,

    From the child’s 4th birthday, you can only save 96 days in total. If you have twins, you can save 132 days in total. You can fin more information about this here.

    Best regards,
    Gobdine Administrative officer
  • 96 days that are available After child 4th year. How are they paid? Is it at sjukpenning nivå or at lågnivå?
    Mahesh Mohan
  • Hello Mahesh,

    Thank you for your post!

    After the child has turned 4 years old, you can only save 96 days in total. If there are more than 96 days left for the child, the days disappear. The minimum level days disappear before the sickness benefit level days. You can find more information under ​frequently asked questions.​​​

    Since it is a public forum, it is difficult for us to answer to questions regarding specific cases. We therefore recommend that you call our Customer Service so that we can check your case.

    Our telephone number is 0771 524524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.

    Best regards
    Hazan Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.