To latest comment

parental leave for a parent not working.

I work in Sweden.
My wife is not working.
My daughter is 2 years old and is in förskolan now.
My wife needs to go to school to study Swedish language.
We plan to apply for parental leave, meanwhile we still want my child to stay in förskolan, which is good for her growth.
So I was wondering if my wife can apply for half or a quarter per day parental leave and let my child stay in förskolan for part time.

Another question is if we can apply for parental leave only at weekends. Is there any difference between my application and my wife's? And is there any rules or limitation to apply for parental leave at weekends?

Thank you very much for your time!
Have a nice day!
Kjell Report inappropriate content


  • Hello,

    Parental benefit has three different compensation levels. One level is based on the size of your income, while the other two levels pay you a fixed amount per day.

    The sickness benefit level [sjukpenningnivå] is based on your sickness benefit qualifying income. It applies to you when you have a job and income. On the parental benefit application you mark the day with S or sjukpenningnivå.

    The second compensation level, referred to as the basic level [grundnivå], is SEK 250 per day. You are eligible for the basic level if you have had little or no income. On the parental benefit application you mark the day with S or sjukpenningnivå.

    The third compensation level, referred to as the minimum level [lägstanivå], lasts for 90 days. The minimum level is SEK 180 per day. On the parental benefit application you mark the day with L or lägstanivå.

    Your wife is eligible for full parental benefit at the basic [grundnivå], or minimum [lägstanivå] level if the child is at the day care for no longer than 7 hours a day or your wife is no longer than 7 hours at the course.

    If you are employed and working 5 days a week from Monday to Friday and would like to apply for parental benefits for the weekend for days on S-level based on your income, then you would also have to apply for the day right before or right after the weekend to the same extent. That means applying for 100% for Friday-Sunday or 50% Saturday- Monday. It is not possible to apply 50% for Friday and the 100% Saturday and Sunday. All 3 days need to have the same extent (%).

    You can apply for Parental Benefit for weekends or non-working days if you take L-level days (lägstanivå) or if your S-level days (sjukpenningnivå) are paid at ground level (250 kronor per day before tax).

    Best regards,
  • Hello!
    I have the following question...If someone does not have a contract to work and makes use of parental benefit, does this period count for pension time?

  • Hello,

    Generally, all the taxable benefits/compensations are counted in the pension. Parental benefit is a taxable benefit. You can find more information at Swedish Tax Agency's website ( or more specifically here.

    Best regards,
  • Hi,

    This is in reference to the below statement made by Aleksandra (Administrative officer from Försakringskassan) in her reply to the question in this page,

    Your wife is eligible for full parental benefit at the basic [grundnivå], or minimum [lägstanivå] level if the child is at the daycare for no longer than 7 hours a day or your wife is no longer than 7 hours at the course. 

    I am a mother of a 1-year-old daughter. Right now I am studying and my husband is working. From the above statement made by Aleksandra, I understood that I can apply for the full parental benefit with the conditions as mentioned by her. But, when marking the days, can I choose the reason as "Take care of children" and the scope as "Hel 100%"?

    Best Regards,
    Meghana Challa
  • Hello,
    Thank you for your post.
    Yes, with the mentioned conditions above, you can choose the reason as "take care of the child" and mark the scope as "Hel 100%".

    Best regards,
    Özge Administrative officer
  • Hello!
    We are a family of 3 me, my husband and our baby who’s 15 months. We are from Romania and lived in Uk for the past 5 years.
    My husband was offered a job in Sweden so we are planning to move there in September.
    He ll be going to Sweden first and sort out his personal no and accommodation.After that we’ll join him in Sweden. I’m planning to stay with the baby go to SFI and take the baby to daycare for a couple of hrs daily.
    Will I be entitled to parental benefit or other child parental benefit once in Sweden and what’s the procedure?
    Thank you
    Andreea Lapadat
  • Hello Andrea!
    Thank you for your post.
    You can read information about the benefits you might be eligible for and what the procedure is here
    Kind regards,
    Fredrik Administrative officer
  • Hi,

    We are a family of 4, with my wife, daughter 4 years old and other daughter 14 months old. My wife is at home for taking care of the kids as 4 year old is going to Forskola. I need to know if I can transfer my parental leaves to my wife and she can get the complete benefit. If she only holds the personal number and not the ID or bank Id, as she dont have any bank account as of now. Can she get the benefits without logging in Forsakringkassan with BankID.


  • Hello,
    Thank you for your post. You can certainly transfer some of your benefit days to your wife, but 90 days at the sickness benefit level are reserved for you and cannot be transferred. There is a possiblity to apply for parental benefit without a Bank-ID; for more information please call our customer center at this number
    0771 524 524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm.

    Best Regards,
    Gobdine Administrative officer
  • My husband works full time and I don't work (I study Sweden at home/privately). My daughter is 3 years old and goes to school 15hours/week.

    I received an email saying that if I don't work, my daughter has no right to go to school in Sweden. That's true?
  • Hello!

    Thank you for your post!

    You have used the Swedish Social Insurance Agency forum. Our role is to administer the areas of the social insurance that provide financial security in the event of illness, disability and for families with children.

    Please contact your municipality.

    Best Regards
    Helen Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.