To latest comment

Parental leave and child allowance for case moving from Japan.

My husband and I are moving to Sweden from Japan from October 2018 with work permit for 2 year. He is going to work from then while I am pregnant, due date at the end of January 2019. Our first child is 2 year old. So, my questions are:
1. What benefits we can get?
2. Which documents is needed to submit?
Thank you.


  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post.

    Försäkringskassan needs to process a registration case to see if you will be covered by the social insurance in Sweden and entitled to benefits. You and your husband should fill out the registration form and attach the required documents that are stated in the last section. The form is available in English here.

    1) Here you can read about which benefits you can get from Försäkringskassan. Kindly check "Frequently asked questions" section for more information under each benefit.

    You can check this previous post here for more information that are related to your situation.

    2) If you apply for parental benefit for your older child, you will need to send a document showing if you have received/or not received any kind of parental benefits in an another country.

    Best regards,
  • Thank you for your reply.
    My other questions are:
    1) Will my husband be able to receive compensation benefit at sickness benefit level? And if yes, from when?
    He starts working from Oct '18 and my estimated delivery date is 21st Jan '19. I am staying unemployed for a while. 

    2) In case we are eligible to receive parental benefits for my older child, could you tell me which compensation benefit level we can get?
  • Hello,

    1) According to the information that you have given your husband will not be entitled to parental benefit at sickness benefit level based on his income. The condition for receiving parental leave benefits based on your income for the first 180 days of the parental leave, is to have an annual income of at least SEK 82,100 for at least 240 consecutive days before the estimated delivery date.

    Your income from another country can be taken into consideration in calculation of parental benefit if it was an income from another EU, EEA country or Switzerland.

    2) To be able to be entitled to parental leave on sickness benefit level based on your income you need to fulfill the requirements above. However, if you have taken parental leave days for more than 180 days in another country then this rule will not be applicable which means that we will take into consideration your current situation.

    If you haven't taken parental leave for more than 180 days before and don't fulfill the requirements above then you receive SEK 250 per day at sickness benefit level.

    Since this is a public forum we only answer to general questions. If you have a question about your specific case then you should contact our Customer Centre 0771 524 524 (press 8 for English).

    Best regards,
  • Thank you for your help, Dina. My final question.
    Regarding 1), I checked and found the following info on forsakringskassan's site.

    "If you have worked fewer than 240 consecutive days before the child is born, you receive SEK 250 per day at sickness benefit level for the first 180 days that are taken out for the child. This is equivalent to about SEK 7,500 a month.
    AFTER you, the other parent or you both together HAVEken out 180 parental benefit days, you receive parental benefit based on your income, but a minimum of SEK 250 per day at sickness benefit level."

    So here is the most beneficial calculation that I came up with. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    - First 180 days with basic level 250SEK/day = I take
    - 210 days with 80% income = My husband takes
    - 90 days with minimum level 180SEK/day = I take

  • Hi;

    Yes, once you and/or your husband have taken out 180 days at the basic level we will be able to re-calculate any further days you take out based on your or your husband's income at the time of application.

    So, for example, if your husband applies once you have taken out 180 days at the basic level, we will be able to pay him based on his salary as long as he has a qualifying income in Sweden. This is approximately 80% of the person's salary, although it can be lower than that if he has a salary higher than the limit of 455,000 crowns per year.

    Best regards;

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.