To latest comment

Parental benefits if child will be registred in another EU country

I am currently 18 weeks pregnant, working 3rd year in Sweden (currently working in Stockholm in office till my due date), with personal number + registred in Försäkringskassan. My partner is also working in Sweden, also has personal number and is also registred in Försäkringskassan. My question is:
I will give birth in my "home country - Slovakia" and child will be registred in slovak health and social system. Do I have the rights for parental benefits from Sweden?
I will continue working in Sweden after parental leave, but my work will not require to be in Sweden, I will do my work from home - Slovakia and i will stay insured in Sweden, just child will be in Slovak health and social system.

What should I do? I have already sent my pregnancy certificate to Försäkringskassan. 

Thanks a lot for your time and answer.



  • Hello Barbora,

    You are entitled to parental benefit from Sweden if you work here and are covered by the Swedish social insurance.

    If your child lives in another EU/EES country, you need to provide documents to us when applying for parental benefit. The required documents are a birth certificate, information about the child's name, adress and citizenship. Sometimes a document that confirms that you have custody of the child is also needed.

    If the child does not have a Swedish personal number, you need to call us and order a paper form when you apply for parental benefit for the first time after the child's birth.

    Please note that you need to submit your application for parental benefit within 90 days from the first day you are applying parental benefit from. You can submit your application even though you would not have all the required documents yet.

    Best regards,

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.