To latest comment

Parental benefit for a child who lives abroad

We are family of 4 people. My husband is only one who is working at the moment, I am unemployed and I am attending SFI courses. We have 2 children. When we apply for child benefit man in försäkringskassan told us, that after we will be ok with children money, I can apply for some kind of benefit for myself, as I am not working but attending SFI in day time and children attending kindergarten. So now I am trying to find this form for parental benefit as I understand. Can You please tell me if it is parental benefit and send me link where I can find it. Thank You very much.


  • Hi Elina!

    Yes, benefit which you can receive when you take care of your child instead of working, seeking work or studying is called parental benefit.

    Here you can find information about the benefit and how to apply for it.

    Best regards,

  • Hej!
    I have a valid work permit. My family has been living outside Sweden/EU since an year. They have valid personal numbers. Can I apply for Föräldrapennin(pappa ledig)?
  • Hello!

    To have right to parental benefit from Sweden to take care of a child who is living outside of the EU, that child would have to be considered having his or her residency in Sweden.

    If the child has been living with the other parent in a country outside of Sweden and EU for over a year, then he or she is no longer considered having the residency in Sweden.

    This means that if you apply for parental benefit, you might not have right to the benefit because the child might not be considered living in Sweden anymore.

    Please remember that when one leaves Sweden to live or work in another country, they are required to inform Försäkringskassan and Skatteverket about it.

    Best regards,
    Natalia Specialist
  • Hello,
    Soon, it will be school holidays and I plan to travel with my child ( less than 8 years) to visit my overseas relatives for 2 weeks. May I know whether I can apply for parental benefit (Föräldrapenning) during the time my child is overseas with me. I am eligible for parental benefits in sweden.
  • Hello,

    If you are going aborad just for 2 weeks, you are allowed to apply for parental benefits as long as your child is with you.

    Best regards,
  • Hello,

    My wife is going to apply for  Föräldrapennin since we have a baby, but her VISA has just expired and we are waiting for the decision from the Migrationsverket.. Can she still get the Föräldrapennin from the försäkringskassan?  (I have the permanent residence)
  • Hello,

    If your wife´s residence permit expired, Försäkringskassan stops making payments to her. During the waiting period for residence permit, she will as well not be entitled to receive any payments. As soon as Migration Board (Migrationverket) sends her a new decision regarding the residence permit, send us the copy of it and call us on 0771 524 524 to tell us about it.

    Best regards,
  • Hello,

    I am travelling to Sweden with my husband from India ,who is having work permit for 2 years.
    I am a dependent. But since I am IT professional ,can I work there although when I am in Dependent Visa?
    I have a child of 2years old. Can we apply for parental leaves as we will not have anyone in Sweden to take care our children?
  • Hello,

    It is unfortunately difficult to give you a proper answer with the information you provided. The rules concerning this matter is complicated, and we need further information. Please contact our Customer Service for private individuals on the telephone number 0771-524 524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line to receive more information.

    If you plan on moving to Sweden to stay here for a longer period, then you should start with registering at the Tax Agency (Skatteverket). After you receive a Swedish personal number, you can fill in the registration application which is available in English here. Please explain your working situation on additional information and send it to us with the relevant attachments. Attachments are listed on the form in section 10.

    After you send us all the necessary documents with the registration application, Försäkringskassan will make a decision if you are covered by Swedish social insurance because to be able to receive parental benefit from Försäkringskassan, one has to be registered and covered by social insurance in Sweden. Together with the registration application you can send your application for parental benefit.

    If you would like to know more about parental benefits, the information in English is available here.

    Best regards,
  • Hi,

    My wife has started to work on January 23, 2017 full time, She is still working full time with 40 hours a week.

    She is pregnant and expecting to have a delivery on January 27, 2018

    My question, would she complete the limit of 240 consecutive working days?

    How we calculate those days, in a year we have Saturday and Sunday and vacations etc.

  • Hello Syed,

    Yes, according to the information given, your wife should complete the 240 consecutive days. In those 240 calendar days we include the weekends and vacations as well.

    Best regards,
  • Hi,

    I have temporary uppehållstånd until September 2018 after which i will re-apply for permanent uppehållstånd. I am now pregnant and the baby is due in April 2018. At the moment i am studying but i do not receive CSN as i have do not meet the criteria. My questions are:
    1) If i am studying am i still be entitled to parental benefit despite only having temporary uppehållstånd?  
    2) If i am not studying am i entitled to parental benefit?

    Many thanks,
  • Hello Shawna,

    The answers can vary depending on if it is a distance course or a classroom course and also if you have had an income from work.

    You are for example allowed to take a distance course from home during your parental leave. In other words, as long as you are with your child during the day you chose to take parental benefit, it is fine.

    If you receive parental benefit on basic (250 kr/day) or minimum (180kr/day) level, you are eligible for full parental benefit if you are joining to a classroom course for no longer than 7 hours a day.

    On the other hand, if you have had an income and receive parental benefit at sickness benefit level, then you are not allowed to join a classroom course. This means that when you take the full parental benefit based on your SGI, you need to be together with your child the whole day.

    You can find more information about parental benefit here.

    Having a temporary residence permit would not affect your right to receive parental benefit.

    Best regards,
  • Hi,
    I'm receiving parental benefit on basic level (250 kr/day) , my child started to attend a pre school, and soon i will attend my SFI classes about 4 hours a day, so I will spend about 4 hours with my child. Do i still have right for full parental benefit or i have to change for half a day?
    Thank You in advance.
  • Hello Marina,

    Yes, you are eligible for full parental benefit on basic level (250 kr/day) since you are joining to a SFI class for no longer than 7 hours a day.

    Best regards,
  • Hi..

    Me my husbamd and my baby are moving to Sweden in January 2018 on a work permit. The baby was born in South Africa on 30 July 2017.

    Will we be entitled to parental benefits from January 2018? If so, what documentation should I send with my application, and how soon can I apply for it?

  • Hello,

    When you will move to Sweden, you need to visit Skatteverket first in order to receive personal number.

    If you are in need of benefits from Försäkringskassan like parental benefit, you need to be registered at Försäkringskassan. In order to register at Försäkringskassan please fill out an application FK 5456 (Uppgifter vid utredning av försäkringstillhörighet) and send it to us with the copy of a decision from Migration Board to grant your residence permit. Already together with the registration application, you can send us the application form for parental benefit. Försäkringskassan after receiving your form 5456 together with all the relevant attachments will take a decision regarding the date you can be registered at Försäkringskassan and from when you are eligible to take out parental benefits.

    If either you or other parent received any parental benefit from another country, we would need a document from that country that states how many days of parental benefit and how much money you have received. After we have got those information we will coordinate your parental benefit that you got abroad with the Swedish benefit. This means that we might take away some of the parental benefit days that you have received from another country from the Swedish amount.

    Best regards,

  • Hi ,

    My husband started working in Sweden from 1 sep 2017 in sweden on work permit.
    I am moving to Sweden along with my baby to stay with my husband in the month of February 2018.

    My baby was born on 28th March 2016 in india.

    Due to recent changes in parental leave amendment from riksdag ,
      For how many days of parental leave allowed from Feb, 2018 to each of us?

  • Hi;

    The general rule is that if the baby moves to Sweden as a one-year-old, you will have the right to 200 days of parental benefit. For married couples, these days will be shared by default - 100 days for each partner.
    It is important to underline that this is a public forum and we can only give general answers to questions. You can always contact our Customer Centre on the telephone number 0771-524 524 (press 8 for English) to get further information on your specific case.

    Best regards;
  • Hello
    my husband has been in Sweden for five years now, I have been here for nearly three years. We both work, I do two jobs. We filed a year ago a request for permanent residence and we are still waiting for a decision. We bought our apartment, we are regular taxpayers. I am in the seventh month of pregnancy, and I wondering if I have the right to maternity leave or mammaledighet?
  • Hi;

    If you applied for a renewed residence permit before the old one ran out, you might still have the right to maternity leave. In that case I would recommend you to make an application for this benefit as usual, and we will look into your case to check if you do have the right to this or not.

    Best regards;
  • Hello!

    My wife and 2 children are now living in another EU country for more than a year. We notified Skatteverket and Forsäkringskassan about this. I logged in today to apply for parental leave in order to help take care of them in Germany, and both children are no longer on my page. I hope this is a mistake and I still have the right to take parental leave for my children who live abroad in another EU country?


  • Hi;

    If you are working in Sweden but spend time with your children who live in another EU-country you might have the right to Swedish parental benefit, but the application process might be a bit different. I would recommend you to call us on 0771-524 524 so that we can give you information about your specific case and help you to file an application.

    Best regards;
  • Hi

    My husband and I will be moving from an EU country to Sweden in Feb 2018. Our child was born in Feb 2017.
    I have been offered a job in Sweden - starting March 2018 - at which point my child will be 1 year old.  My Swedish employer is content for me to take parental leave on starting my job (and will pay a 'top up').  My husband will not work initially and will care for our child.

    Can you confirm:
    1) that we will both be eligible for parental leave in Sweden from day 1 in the country;
    2) how many days of leave apply to us if our child is over 1 year OR if our child is under 1 year when we move?
    3) whether the parental leave we have both taken in our own EU country while the child has been under 1 year old will be deducted from the days of Swedish parental leave we would be eligible to take once our child is over 1 year?
    4) what evidence you require to be sent to you (i.e. of our parental leave received to date in our home country) to receive parental leave in Sweden.

    Thank you.

  • Hello;

    Please be aware that we cannot give you a written confirmation on your specific cases on this forum. But I can answer your questions generally:

    1) If you move to Sweden with a work contract and/or you intend to stay here for at least one year, you may be eligible for parental leave from the first day. This is the case as long as you do not receive a salary or social benefits from another country while you live here. However, be aware that when you move here you have to register with us so the first payment may be delayed as a result. This means that if you apply for parental leave from day one, you may get paid for it several weeks or even months later.

    2) Since you are moving to Sweden from another EU country, the number of days of parental leave you may take out does not depend on whether the child is younger or older than one. The base entitlement is 480 days of parental leave to be shared between the two parents.

    3) Any days that you have taken out in another country will be deducted from these 480 days. Of course if you have already taken more than 480 days combined in another country, you would not have any days left to take out in Sweden.

    4) To receive parental leave from Sweden we will require a certificate from any country/countries where you have lived with your child, showing if they have paid out parental leave to you and if so how many days. To register you with Försäkringskassan we may also require an E104 certificate from the country where you lived before moving to Sweden, as proof that you have de-registered from their social Insurance system.

    Please call us on 0771-524 524 if you need any help with the whole process, or if you have more specific questions about your case.

    Best regards;
  • Hi;

    I along with my husband and 2 children aged 4 years and 6 years have come to sweden on 24th of Dec- 2017 by obtaining a work permit. I would like to ask that since I am the only one employed in the family, are my children entitled to receive föraldrarpenning eller fördrarledig ersätting. If yes, since when are they entitled to receive?

    I would be grateful to receive some information on the same from your side.
  • Hi;

    You can receive parental benefit even if you are not working in Sweden, as long as you are  socially insured here in Sweden. You are normally insured in Sweden if you work here, or if you are going to live here legally for at least one year.

    To register for social insurance coverage in Sweden both you and your husband must each fill in form 5456, which you may find on our website. Remember to send completing documents, such as a copy of your employment contract in Sweden.

    You can also send an application for parental benefit at the same time as you send us form 5456. We will then process your parental benefit application as soon as your registration with us is clear.

    It is possible to apply for parental benefit for a maximum of three months back in time. You may find more information about this benefit here.

    Best regards;
  • Hi,
    My husband is Swedish and I am the citizen of a non-EU country. We moved to Sweden March 2017 from my home country with our 11 month old son then and registered him under my husband's name that time as I was not permanently settled in Sweden but my husband was.Our son was over 1 year old when I permanently moved, but he was less than 1 year old when he was registered together with the father.

    I had used around 100 days of parental leave in my home country.

     I am currently working on a temporary contract ( 1 year). I wonder what kind of parental benefits we will be entitled to after my contract expires. How many days of parental leave are we going to be entitled to? If I go on maternity leave right after my contract expires, will I get fully paid ( 80% of salary approx) or will I get basic level ( 250 kr/day)? What should the confdition be in order to get full payment from försäkringkassan?

    Thank you for your support.
    Kind regards

  • Hi;

    If your child became registered in Sweden before his first birthday, you and your husband can have the right to regular parental benefit in Sweden. However, any days that you or your husband have received in another country will be deducted from the 480 days that you can take out here.

    The first 180 days of parental leave that you and/or your partner take out for your child can be based on your incomes, as long as the person who takes them out worked in an EU/EEA-country for eight months before the birth of the baby. If you did not work in an EU/EEA-country before the birth of your son, you will receive just 250 SEK per day until a total of 180 days of parental benefit are used up for your son. After that point we may check your income again, based on your current salary.

    You may find more general information in English on this link. If you have more questions about your specific case I would recommend you to call us on 0771-524 524 (choice '8' for English) and we can help you there.

    Best regards;

  • Hi!
    We came from a EU-country and have been recognized for 480 days parental leave. By the end of April (will have completed 6 month of working)  both my wife's and my contract will expire, and we intend to start our new contracts from August. We have a 2 years daughter who does not have a place to a förskola. Do my wife or I have the right to use parental leave for that period until August? And we she be payed at the basic level or based on her previous salary?
    Thank you!
  • Hello,

    Both parents can not take parental benefit for the same child at the same time when the child is over one year old.

    You can plan parental benefit between you accordingly to this rule.

    To receive the parental benefit based on your salary you have to have worked for 240 days before the child was born and have a current annual income over SEK 117,590.

    Click here for more information about parental benefit in Sweden.

    Best Regards,
  • Hi,
    I came to Sweden in January 2017 with my wife and 1.5 years old child from India for less than one year on employment contract. So, i didn't have personnumber till Dec 2017. Later, my employment contract got extended till Dec 2019 and so, I am registered now in Sweden Population register(Skatteberket) in January 2018. My child is 2.5 years old now and my wife stays at home with him to take fare of him.
    Can you suggest if we both are eligible for Parental Benefits?
    If yes, how many days ?

    Thank you.
  • Hello,
    I have work permit and been working for past three years.My wife has personal number and is pregnant now. She wish to travel to India June 2018 and plan delivery in India, Sep 2018 and come back to Sweden by Jan 2019. Please clarify me below:

    1) Can, I take parental leave for two months (Sep,Oct 2018) to visit her in India during delivery and apply for parental leave for those two months ? and come back to Sweden Nov 2018.

    2) Can, I apply for 10 days during delivery? while visiting her in India.
  • hi

  • Hello,

    1).There are many factors to think about when it comes to taking out parental benefit for a child who is born abroad. Firstly, you should be registered as a legal guardian for the child before you apply for parental benefit. Secondly, the child should be registered in Sweden and have a Swedish personal number or coordination number from the Skatteverket. We therefore recommend you to contact our Customer center to get an answer for your specific question regarding parental benefits for a child born outside Sweden.

    2).For you to apply for the 10 days the child should live in Sweden or within the EU/EEA or Switzerland. This means that you are not eligible to receive the compensation for 10 days at birth of the child since the child is born outside Sweden, EU/EEA and Switzerland. You can find more information here.

    The Swedish Social Insurance Agency has limited abilities to answer questions relating to individual cases on this forum. We therefore ask you to contact our customer center if you have questions relating to your specific case by calling telephone number 0771 524524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm,


    Best regards,
  • I want to ask why I do not get my child's daughter's money. We've been living in Sweden since the year 2014, and we've been receiving numbers in 2015 for a half-year.
  • hello We live in Sweden from 2014, we received person numbers in 2015 for a month, but I do not receive a child for a daughter. I do not get a baby in Ireland, but we do not get paid there. I want to get the child's money in Sweden, what kind of document is needed? I will be deking to answer. Agne

  • Hello Agne,

    The Swedish Social Insurance Agency has limited abilities to answer questions relating to individual cases on this forum. Please contact our Customer Centre for private individuals on the telephone number 0771-524 524 and press 8 for assistance in English in order to get information about your ongoing case.

    Best regards
The post is closed to further comments.