To latest comment

Parental benefit while child is born in another EU country

I have been living and working in Sweden for 4 last years and still working and now expecting a baby. My husband lives in another EU country. We are planning to have delivery in the other EU country since I am alone in Sweden and no other family member can come due to the coronavirus situation. I plan to come back to Sweden after 5-8 months of delivery.
My question is if I will be eligible to have:
1) My parental benefit if I will have delivery in another EU country? While having a job in Sweden.
2) My parental leave if I will have delivery in another EU country? While having a job in Sweden.
3) What documents will be required to apply for both?

Thanks for your answer.


  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post.

    It is possible to receive parental benefit while temporary staying in another EU-country after you give birth there.
    When you apply for parental benefit you will have to send in birth certificate for your child.

    Send the birth certificate to:

    Försäkringskassans Inläsningscentral
    839 88 Östersund

    Don't forget to write your Swedish personal number on the upper right corner of the document.

    You can find more information about paretal benefit here.

    Best Regards,
    Barbara Administrative officer
  • Hi,

    To continue in this topic, as my situation is very similar as the questions before.

    It seems to be impossible to find out how many days I can take parental leave for my child (expected date in august 2021) when my husband works and lives in another EU country (Belgium). I plan on delivering in Belgium and take at least part of the parental leave there.
    How we understand it now, he will follow the Belgian rules for parental leave, and I will follow the rules from Sweden.

    - How can I know how many days of parental leave I can exactly take (paid at the highest level) if my husband is not in the Swedish system?

    - How many days can I take in total?

    Kind regards

  • Hello Marie!

    Thank you for your post! Generally a child born here in Sweden gets 480 parental leave days. However, if one or two parents gets parental benefit days from any EU/EES or Switzerland then it is subject to deduction after we verify how many days and how much amount has been paid from the other country.

    Therefore, we advice you to contact our customer center by calling to 0771 524 524 (For English press 8) to get reply to your specific question.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00 am — 4.00 pm

    Best regards,
    Adem Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.