To latest comment

Parental benefit for foreigners


Me and my husband will be moving to Sweden early next year with our 9 month old son. I have a job offer from an international organization and will be given an expat visa by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. My salary is exempt from taxes as per the agreement signed between my employer and the government of sweden. My husband will be unemployed. My question is, will he be eligible for any sort of parental benefit, given that we are non-swedish, non-EU couple, that our child was born abroad, and that I wont be paying taxes in Sweden. Please guide.


  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post! We cannot give you any decision if your patrner is entitled to parental leave or not because in this forum we have limited abilities to answer questions related to specific cases since we only reply to general questions. However, your husband needs to fill application for registration (FK 5456) in order to know if he belongs to the Swedish Social Insurnace Agency (Försäkringskassan). Being socially insured in Sweden doesn't mean that a person is eligible to all benefits because each benefit has also its own conditions. We therefore advice you to contact our customer center if you have more speicific quesitons.

    Contact our customer center by calling to  +46 771 524 524
    (for English press #8).

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:
    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm,

    Best regards

    Adem Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.