This entry is old and may contain information that is not up-to-date.

Parental Allowance query

Dear Sir,

My question is that I am shifting to sweden with my wife and 4 months old kid.

I will have a Job there (full time). But my wife will not work as she have to take care of our Little kid.

My question is whether my wife is entitled for Parental allowance as she is not working and staying at home for taking care our kid ?
If yes then How much monthly ?

Kapil Agarwal Report inappropriate content


  • Hello,

    Yes, she may be eligible for parental benefit if she is socially insured in Sweden and the child lives in Sweden. A person who lives or works here is usually socially insured in Sweden. This means that she may be eligible for parental benefit even if she is not employed in Sweden. However, she should be registered at Försäkringskassan.

    How much she can get depends on whether she has/had income from Sweden, EU/EEA or Switzerland for at least 240 consecutive days before the child was born. If she fulfills this condition, then she can get nearly 80 per cent of her income if she takes out parental benefit at sickness level benefit. But we will look into this once we receive the application for the parental benefits.

    If she has/had no income, she may receive SEK 250 per day at sickness benefit level.
    You can find more information about parental benefits  here.

    Best regards,

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.