To latest comment

non-EU/EEA foreign student - child/house allowances, family supplement

I have some questions, please:

Lets consider the case:

a non-EU/EEA foreign student: 
  • gets student resident permit (upto 1 year or over 1 year)
  • obtains personal number (or coordination number if < 1 year stay)
  • finds a job
  • registers at Försäkringskassan
  •  send in the form 5456 with a copy of your employment contract and residence permit decision 
Question 1: 

as soon as the student has a employment contract (even if up to 1 year stay) he/she can register at Försäkringskassan ?

Question 2: 

a student without peronal number cannot apply.
But if he/she has coordination number (under 1 year studies stay) - can he/she register at Försäkringskassan for child allowance with family supplements and housing allowances?

Question 3: 

what is the process (eligibility, fees, costs, terms etc) of registering children of the a non-EU/EEA foreign student to lågstadiet and högstadiet schools?


  • Hello

    Thank you for your post. The Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) has limited abilities to answer questions related to individual cases since this is a public forum. We therefore request you to contact our customer center to get answer to your questions by calling telephone number:
    0771 524 524 (for english press 8).

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00 am — 3.00 pm

    Best regards,

The post is closed to further comments.