To latest comment

New to Sweden, how to apply to Försäkringskassan


I recently moved to Sweden to at least stay here for 2 years (due to my studies). I read that since I stay more than 1 year, it is possible to apply to Försäkringskassan. However I can't find how I can apply. Do I need to specifically apply somewhere or is this automatically processed as soon as I have my personal number (which I already do have).
Another question: I would like to have a EHIC for the moments I go visit my parents in the Netherlands. However when I go to the site and click "beställ EU-kort" it seems down. Is there another way to apply?

Thanks in advance,
Jip Asveld


  • Hello,

    If you are in need of benefits from Försäkringskassan, certificates for health insurance abroad, EU card or dental services etc., you need to be registered at Försäkringskassan. To do that you should fill out an application FK 5456 (Information required to obtain social insurance cover) and send it to us with the relevant attachments. Required attachments are listed on the form in section 11.

    You will not be automatically registered in the Swedish social insurance even if you have the Swedish personal number (personnummer). You should therefore fill out the application FK 5456 for registration and send it us.

    The reason that you cannot order an EU card online could be that you are not registered at Försäkringskassan. You should therefore write that you would like to apply for the EU card in point 11 on the form “Other information”.

    The form can be downloaded here

    Best regards,

  • Hi,

    I moved to sweden in december 2017, I have 2 children age 5 and 9 respectively.
    My husband is working in an IT company and we all have Personal no.
    How can I apply for Child benefits / Parental benefits?
    I am also looking for job here but as I dont know swedish , It's bit difficult to find a job here.I already registered myself in Arbetsformdlingen .
    Please tell me about newly arrived benefits also.

  • Hello!

    You can find the answers to your question here. You can also read more information about the various social benefits that one can apply from Försäkringskassan on our webpage

    Best regards
  • Hi

    I am from Philippines and married to swedish man. I moved in Sweden last year and finished my SFI (Swedish for Immigrants)  and recently studying SAS 1 (Svenska som andra språk). I have personummer and i have 2 years temporary residence permit. I am not entitled to apply study money to SAS since im not a permanent resident and i have been to Sweden for 1 year.  My questions are: Can i get some money after completed SFI? How can i apply in Försäkkringkassan and what are my benifits? am i entitled to get some money support or other benefits? Thank  you!
  • Hello,

    On this forum we can only answer general questions. To help you in your specific situation we need more information from you. It would be best if you called us on 0771 524 524 (press 8 for English).

    Generally speaking you can have right to the benefits from Försäkringskassan if you are socially insured in Sweden. You can be socially insured in Sweden if you legally live or work here depending on the situation.

    Best Regards,
  • Hej,

    we just moved to Sweden 2 weeks ago due to my husband's job here. We have a daughter and as soon as we find a förskola, I will look for a job too.  We got our personnummers this week and 5456 forms to fill. My question is, since I am unemployed what should I attach to the filled form? I worked in my home country before but in the last year I was on parental leave which is ended in May this year.

    Thanks in advance!

  • Hello,

    If you are unemployed and moved to Sweden from Another EU/EES country then you need to send us a certificate that shows that you are not socially covered in the other country. This certificate is called E104 in some countries.

    Best regards,
  • Hi, I am a permanent resident of Sweden. I have been here for about 5 years now. I came as a doctoral student and after I finished the PhD I opened my own company (but I am not employed by my company). I wanted to know whether I am automatically registered with Försäkringskassan when I got my personnummer? If not, then how can I register? Also, do I need to be salaried?

    Thank you!
  • Hello,

    You are not automatically registered at Försäkringskassan and you don’t have to be register if you don’t need to apply for any benefit at Försäkringskassan.

    In order to be registered at Försäkringskassan you should fill out and send form 5456 (which can be found on our website). Along with the form you should send the additional documents that we may require, listed on the last page of the form.

    If you have BankID you can send the form (5456) online. You should log into Mina Sidor (My pages) with your BankID or Mobilt BankID. Then, you should follow this instruction: click on all e-services (alla e-tjänster) > others (övrigt) > lämna uppgifter för utredning av Försäkringstillhörighet.

    For more information click here

    Best regards,
  • Hej,

    What is the best way to register with Försäkringskassan? Should I send the form online via Mina Sidor or should I send a post with the form? I read that I should also include my residence permit, is it possible to do that via the online method by including a scan of such permit?

    Thank you in advance.

    Kind regards,

  • Hello

    The fastest and easiest way is send the form online via Mina Sidor, you can attach required documents as well. You should log into Mina Sidor (My pages) with your BankID or Mobilt BankID. Then, you should follow this instruction: click on all e-services (alla e-tjänster) > others (övrigt) > lämna uppgifter för utredning av Försäkringstillhörighet.

    Best regards,
The post is closed to further comments.