To latest comment

Moving to Sweden, work for a UK company - Parental Benefit


We are moving to Sweden as my husband has a permanent work contract there.  I will continue to work for my UK company from home in Sweden.  I am currently pregnant, and therefore would like to know whether I should be clamining parental benefit in Sweden, or statutory maternity pay from HMRC in the UK?  Many thanks for your help.
nancy welch Report inappropriate content


  • Hi Nancy,

    When an employee carries out his work in a EU-Member State other than where the employer is located, and is not being assigned to the country to work, it is the main rule that the country that you are working in who`s legistation is applicable.

    Best regards,

  • HI Francisco

    Many thanks for your response.  Would you be able to confirm what documentation I need to provide to claim parental benefit in Sweden please.  For instance I presume I need to prove that I'm not claming benefits in the UK?  As well as proof of income and pregnancy in Sweden?
    nancy welch
  • Hi Nancy,

    First of all you need to register with Försäkringskassan before you can apply for Parental Benefits, you will also need to provide a document that says that you no longer belong to the UK social security and that you are not currently claiming parental benefits in the UK and a present a copy of your employment contract. Along with those documents,  in order to register at Försäkringskassan you need to fill in the registration form FK5456, send it to us with the relevant attachments. On the application form in section 10 you have to write which benefit you are applying for. The form is available here.

    The address is: Försäkringksassans inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.

    To read about how you apply for parental benefits you can find more information ​here.​​​ 

    Best regards,

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.