To latest comment
This entry is old and may contain information that is not up-to-date.

Moving to Sweden from non-EU country

I am a US citizen and have a permanent job offer from a company in Sweden. This company said they would handle all the required residence and work permits for myself and my family as part of the immigration process, so I presume that means myself and my family will be considered residents and also be insured in Sweden.

We have two children, and lets say they will be 1 and 4 by the time we would arrive in Sweden. We may arrive before the 1 year old turns 1, but that is unlikely.

My wife is planning on staying home with the kids until they would be able to attend public daycare, if there are waiting lists, etc. She would likely be looking for work during this time as well to prepare for when the kids are in daycare.

So with that information, my question has two parts, so thank you in advance for your patience:

1) Would my wife be eligible for the "basic" or "minimum" level of parental leave for one or both of the children? How much money would she receive and for how long would this last? 240 days and 100 days (respectively) since they are over 1 year old and over 2 years old? Would I as the father also be eligible for my portion of those days?

2) Are we as a family eligible for the child allowance?

I tried calling the call center, but pressing 8 did not result in English and my Swedish is not good enough yet to figure out the menu prompts. Is there another recommended path to get in touch with an administrator at Försäkringskassan?

Thank you again!

Best Regards


  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post.

    1) If the child’s age 1 or older when they become a resident of Sweden, a maximum of 200 days of parental benefit are paid out for the child. If the child is age 2 or older when they become a resident of Sweden, a maximum of 100 days of parental benefit are paid out for the child.

    The parental leave days are divided equally between the parents and all the days given are at the high level regardless if the parents get 100 days or 200 days. Since your wife has no income, she would receive “250 sek per day” which is the basic level.

    The question of “For how long it will last” depends on how she plans her parental leave. She will be paid by day and it is up to her how many days in a month she would like to get compensation for.
    Since your children were born after 2014, you can take out parental benefit up to and including the day the child turns 12 years old or when the child finishes grade 5 in compulsory school. But, from the child’s 4th birthday, you can only save 96 days in total.

    2) Försäkringskassan needs to process a registration case to see if you will be covered by the social insurance in Sweden and have right to receive parental benefit or child allowance. You and your wife should fill in the registration form which is available in English here. The application is available digitally if you have a Bank ID to fill it out online. There is no specific application for child allowance (barnbidrag). Once you are registered, a case officer start the case for the child allowance automatically after you have been registered.

    The English line should function as you explained. You can also try to say the word English to the answering machine.

    Opening hours of Customer Centre: Mon-Fri: 8:00-16.00, Sat-Sun closed.

    Best regards,
    Özge Administrative officer
  • Thank you for the replies Özge,

    This may perhaps be a question for the migrationsverket, but would "the date my son becomes a resident" depend on the actual date we move to Stockholm or the date the residence permit is approved by the migration agency?

    Are you also able to tell me if a temporary residence permit satisfies the "resident" status you referred to?

    Thanks again!
  • Hi;

    The date you and your son become residents will normally be the date on which the tax authority Skatteverket registers you as living in Sweden.

    It is best if you ask Skatteverket regarding whether a temporary residence permit can satisfy the "resident" status. From the perspective of Försäkringskassan, you usually require a residence permit with a duration of at least one year to be able to become socially insured.

    Best regards,
  • Thanks for the help!

    One final question... My 4 year old was born in 2013, so it seems that we must use up the granted parental days before they turn 8, rather than 12.

    Does the limit on saving 96 days after the could turns 4 apply only if the child was born after Jan 1st 2014? I only see that provision when referring to that group of children.

    Thank you again,
  • Hello,

    Thank you for your question.

    Yes, the limit on saving 96 days after the child turns 4 applies only if the child was born after Jan 1st 2014. So, that rule would not be applicable for your child who was born in 2013.

    Best regards,
    Özge Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.