Masters Student with family

We are four persons in the family. 2 adults( husband and wife) and 2 children. I am here on studies in the Masters program (2 years), we live in an accommodation provided by the University and pay a monthly rent 5400Kr. We all have resident permits and personnummer. I am insured from the University however my family members are not. Now I am studying while my wife is not and both do not have any jobs or other source of income here. My children are going to school here at Aspudden. Please tell me, do we need to register at försäkring kassan and what help we may get from them.


  • Hi Taimoor,

    If you and your family have the personal numbers (personnummer) that means that you have the right to the same health care as anyone else living in Sweden.

    That means you will only have to pay the basic patient's fee when visiting a doctor.

    For more information click here.

    Furthermore the general rule is if you come to Sweden as a student you are not eligible to register with The Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) . This rule applies also for the accompanying family members of the student.

    Best regards,

  • Thank you for the response and clarity. However the link you have sent does not work, can you check and send again. Also please let me know if any monthly stipend will be given to my kids who are studying at Aspudden Skola.

  • Hi,

    if you can't open the link please go on our website: At the top of the page, to the right, go to "Menu" section. Switch to English and scroll down to "Move to, work or study in Sweden" and then go to "Study in Sweden". You will find information concerning your situation there.

    In order to receive Child allowance from Sweden it is required that you are registered in Swedish social insurance.

    Best regards,

  • Can a student with disabled family member register with The Swedish Social Insurance Agency?
  • Hi;

    As written above, people who come to Sweden as students may not usually be socially insured here. However, we cannot give you a decision with full certainty on this public forum. You can follow the instructions in this thread to try to register with us, and that way you can get a decision from us.

    You may have the right to benefits for a disabled child, as well as general parental benefits, if you are insured in Sweden.

    Best regards;
  • Thanks for your reply. I have another question. In the form-5456, I did not find any space to mention certain madical condition of my children. How would it be possible to inform the authority about disability of my kid? Thanks.
  • Hi;

    During the registration process we do not need to know if your child has a medical condition. If you want to apply for benefits due to your child's condition, you can check this link to check which benefits might be relevant.

    Best regards;

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.