To latest comment

Live in Sweden work remotely for UK company - social services entitlement

Hi there,
I want to move to Sweden with my family but keep my job in the UK because I can do it all remotely - maybe occasionally travel for a meeting. I know I can apply for a tax relief (so that I'm not taxed by both countries) if I let HMRC know that I am no longer a UK resident, is that enough? Work will be effectively performed in Sweden so will I - and my family - be insured and entitled to social services, healthcare, parental leave etc? How do I report my earnings and pay correct taxes all by myself?
Thank you,


  • Hello!

    Thank you for your post.

    Please be advised that health insurance and social insurance are two separate systems in Sweden. Försäkringskassan is the agency that is responsible for the social insurance.

    In order for you to be registered as a resident in Sweden, you will need to have a personal identification number (personnummer). By this registration (folkbokföring), you are covered by the health insurance in Sweden and entitled to medical care under the same terms as others who live in Sweden. If you have any questions concerning medical care and dental care in Sweden, please contact Landstinget (Region) and questions concerning personal number and taxes, please contact  Skatteverket.

    Generally you are socially insured in the country you work in.

    We need to first investigate if you will be covered by the social insurance in Sweden and have right to get benefits such as child allowance.

    After you receive the personnummer, you and your family need to fill in the form 5456 and send in them to Försäkringskassan with the relevant documents that is listed on the last page.

    In need of more information about social Insurance you can call on 0771 524 524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm

    Best regards,

    Helen Administrative officer
  • hi I have a Sweden permanent residency and plan to work remotely for an NGO in Berlin my question is how do i pay for social security benefits do i need to do that myself or my employer can assist. The contract i have says i can pay my own taxes in Sweden.
  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post.

    Regarding your payments of social fees and other taxes contact Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

    As mentioned above you should be socially insured in the country that you work in. If you work remotely in  Sweden for a German employer you should pay your social fees in Sweden as it is the country that you actually work in.

    If you need any benefits, certificates or EHIC-card from Swedish social insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) you can register yourself with us as mentioned in the previous answer.

    Best Regards,

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.