To latest comment

Can I socially insured in Sweden if I own a company in another EU country?

Live in Sweden, work in other EU country (Original title)


I live in Sweden with my family and work for a hungarian company (that's my own company). In fact I do my job in Sweden in home office but pay taxes in Hungary, therefore I am insured in Hungary by default. But I also have a personal number in Sweden since my wife has a job here. What about my health insurance in Sweden? Now I have to start a long-term dental treatment so it's crucial for me to know whether Försakringskassan will subsidize it.


  • Hi;

    If you are registered as living in Sweden and have a personal number, you have the right to subsidised health care in this country.

    However, dental treatment does not depend on your registration with the population register. One must normally be socially insured in Sweden to be able to have subsidised dental care.

    If you are still socially insured in Hungary and have an E106/S1 certificate from the Hungarian authorities, you can send the certificate to apply for subsidised dental care in Sweden to the following adress:-

    Box 1164, 621 22 Visby.

    If you do not have a certificate E106/S1, you will have to apply for one from the Hungarian authorities.

    If you have more specific questions about your case you may call us on 0771-524 524 and we will help you there.

    Best regards;
  • I work in Denmark, but I live in Sweden and I have a personal number. Until now I havent done anything about my health insurance in Sweden, and I need help or information from you: were should I start? do I need something from Denmark , some papers and can you tell my what kind of forms do I need so I can apply?

  • Hello!

    Firstly, you should notify Försäkringskassan that you are working in another country by sending form 5459.
    Secondly, if you work in another Nordic country but live in Sweden, you are entitled to the medical care, dental care and medications covered by the public healthcare system in Sweden. If you need care in Sweden, you must present your “Certificate on the right to care benefits in Sweden”. You apply for the certificate on My pages (Mina sidor).

    If you are unable to use My pages (Mina sidor), you can apply using the 5435 form. You should attach the employment contract and the latest salary specification with the form.

    We also recommend you to contact the authority in the country where you work to find out what applies in your situation.

    Best regards,
  • Hi,

    I've filled 5456 online, but after saving page said that 'Portleten är inte tillgänglig.' I guess there is something wrong with this function...
    Could you help me with this please?

  • Hi;

    It is possible that it was a technical error on your side. Please try again today, and if you still get the same error message you might have to download the form and fill it in instead.

    To check if form E106 has been received you have to call us on 0771-524 524 (choice '8' for English) and we will check if it has been registered in our system.

    Best regards;
  • I work in Germany (mostly travelling across EU), my wife in Sweden, we want to move our main residency to Sweden. My German health insurance has issued me a form E106 in German. Do you accept a German-language E106 or do I need another document, e.g. a S1, or does the language have to be English?
  • Hi;

    E-documents have common European formats. This means that you can send us an E106 in German and we will register it as usual. Please read the first response on this thread for more information about how to register this certificate.

    Best regards;
  • Hi, I am a British citizen who has been working and living in Sweden for the past 18 months. My husband (also British) lives and works in Germany. We are now expecting a child and so my husband plans to move here and commute to Germany / remote work. What paperwork do we need to complete to get my husband registered here and get him a personal number?  It seems that we need the  E106/S1 form for a start. Thank you.
    Best Regards,

  • Hello Nav,
    thank you for your post.
    When it comes to getting a personal number, your husband needs to contact Skatteverket (The Swedish Tax Agency). You can find information about Skatteverket here
    Your husband also needs to apply for the S1 certificate in Germany. For Försäkringskassan to be able to determine where your husband should be socially insured, he needs to fill out the form 5456. You can find a PDF of the form in English ​here​​​
    Kind regards,
    Fredrik Administrative officer
The post is closed to further comments.