To latest comment

I want to move to Sweden to live, at what agency do I begin?

I want to come to Sweden to live, where do I start? (Original title)

I wish to come to Sweden to live and work, where do I start when I get there?


  • Hello,

    if you plan on moving to Sweden to stay and work here for a longer period, then you should start with registering at the Tax Agency (Skatteverket). The Tax Agency could provide you with a Swedish personal number. Once you receive the Swedish personal number (personnummer), you will be covered by the Swedish health insurance. More information available in English can be found on the Tax Agency website here .

    Also, if you wish to read about health care in Sweden, more information in English is available here .

    If you come from country outside of the EU, you should also contact the Migration Board (Migrationsverket) about residence and/or work permit. More information is available here.

    After you have personal number and residence permit (permit is required only if you come from country outside of the EU), you can register at Försäkringskassan. It is not required to register with us if you do not need any benefit. However, if you are in need of benefits from Försäkringskassan, certificates for health insurance abroad, the EU card or dental services you need to be registered at Försäkringskassan.

    If you would like to register in Försäkringskassan you have to fill out the registration form 5456 and send it to us with the relevant attachments. The required attachments are listed at the end of the form.

    The form is available on our website and you can find it in English by searching for "5456" on the English-language version of the website. You can also fill it in online with BankID, on the Swedish-language website.

    If you would like to know more about Försäkringskassan and about our role, more information is available here .

    Best regards,

    Natalia Specialist
  • Hi,
    My family recently moved to Sweden and they(wife and son) have not received personal number as the validity of residence permit we not more than a year from the day they arrived. So once the residence permit is renewed and is valid for more than a year we have to apply for personal number again, which might take 6 months from now.

    Meanwhile if my wife or son get sick, what is the kind of insurance that they can avail. Recently my son was sick and when i took him to vårdcentralen they helped me with a temporary personal number for him and mentioned to talk to forsakringskassan regarding my wife's situation.

    Can you please help me with this?
  • Hello,

    If your wife has a temporary personal number she needs a special certificate from Försäkringskassan to be able to use the public healthcare in Sweden.

    To order this certifcate, your wife needs to first be registered at Försäkringskassan. In order to register, ask your wife to fill in registration form 5456 (on the form fill in that she needs certificate that will give her the right to healthcare in Sweden). Together with this form, send the copy of the decision from Migration Board regarding her residence permit (uppehållstillstånd) and copy of an employment contract (in case she works).

    If your wife is already registered, you can call us on 0771 524 524 (press 8 for English) to order this specific certificate.

    Best regards,
  • Hi
    i am trying to move to Sweden to live but will continue working in England to support myself and my family.
    i have applied for a Personnummer but have been told i need to get the UK to provide a S1 form to prove that, as i pay tax in England, they will support my healthcare. the UK HMRC have now sent me a letter saying i have to ask Sweden to confirm they are happy that i am not liable for National Insurance in Sweden - the address i have been given to write to in Sweden does not appear to exist!  (Rikforsakringsverkt, S-10 531 Stockholm)

    please help!!

  • Hello,

    If you are moving to Sweden, however will continue to work in England, in most of the cases you should be part of social insurance system in England.

    First of all, register yourself att the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) and send them the copy of S1 certificate. When you have been granted personal number (personnummer) from Skatteverket, send us your S1 certificate to the following adress:-

    Box 1164, 621 22 Visby.

    Riksförsäkringsverket is a institution that is no longer existing and has been replaced by Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan).

    If you need any certificate for your insurance in England that you are not registered for Swedish insurances, then we need to first make an investigation about your insurance and take that decision. In this case send us form 5456 which you can find here and under point 11 (Other information) write what kind of certificate you need and why. It is also fine to send us this form even if you do not possess any personal number (personnummer) or temporary personal number (samordningsnummer) yet. The form 5456 can also be sent to the address that is stated above.

    Best regards,
  • Hi, I recently moved to Sweden from Non-EU country for a new job with my family (Wife and Child). We have received a personal number. I have 5 years old kid and my wife is also looking for a job but the moment she is unemployed. What are benefits I will get in Sweden for my kid and my for wife? I that I need to register in Forsakringskassan.
  • Hello,

    After you have received your personal numbers, you and your wife should send registration documents to Försäkringskassan. To do that you should fill out an application FK 5456 (Uppgifter vid utredning av försäkringstillhörighet) and send it to us with the relevant attachments. Attachments are listed on the form in section 11.The form can be downloaded here

    After you send us all the necessary documents Försäkringskassan will make a decision if you and your wife are eligible to be covered by Swedish social insurance. If you and you wife will get registered at Försäkringskassan, you will both be entitled to such a benefits as: child allowance and parental benefit. More about that you can find here and here.

    Best regards,
  • Hi, I am Mexican and I am married to a citizen of denmark, I have resident for five years , my son of 19 years moved here to Sweden and is waiting for the decision of Migrationsverket, he  needs a personal number but in Skatteverket they ask for  insurance ( the blue card of the European Union )  but in Denmark say that it is not possible to obtain it because my Son  is more than 18 years old , What he can do to have a personal number?
  • Hello;

    According to our rules, a child stops belonging to his/her parents' social insurance the moment he/she turns 18.

    If Denmark cannot give your son an EU-card or a certificate E109, I recommend that you contact Skatteverket for more information and to check if your son may need private insurance instead.

    Best regards;
  • Hello, my family and me are EU citizens. We live and work in Sweden for 2.5 years. I would like to bring to Sweden to live my mother /she is a pensionare in the country she lives now/ and my sister who has mental desease from a birth.
    From which point we should start making their documents, will they get their pension money they are getting now. My sister needs medical care, will she get it in Sweden.
  • Hello,

    You are covered by the Swedish health insurance once you receive Swedish personal number (personnummer) from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

    First of all your mother needs to register herself at the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) and send them the copy of S1 certificate. S1 certificate she can obtain from her home country.When she has been granted personal number (personnummer) from Skatteverket, she can send us her S1 certificate to the following address.

    Box 1164, 621 22 Visby.

    Please contact Skatteverket, if you have more questions regarding obtaining of the personal number.

    If you have further questions regarding the healthcare in Sweden, please contact Landstinget. Also, if you wish to read about health care in Sweden, more information in English is available here .

    You can also find more information about disability allowance here.

    Försäkringskassan is unable to answer the question about keeping of the pension in Sweden on the public forum. If you have more questions, please call us on: 0771 524 524.

    Best regards,
  • Hi,
        I would like to apply for parental benefits for next 2 months as i already have take a leave from my job. My wife she has already made her application. Does she have to change her application before i do mine or how it should be made. Please explain the procedure here.

    Thank you

  • Hello,

    Parents can receive up to 30 days of Parental Benefit for taking care of the same child at the same time. These days are called double days (dubbeldagar). Double days can be taken out until child turns one.

    If you both applied for 30 double days, you can both stay home together with your child and receive parental benetfit.

    If you no longer have the right to apply for double days or you do not want to apply for double days only one of you can apply for parental benefit and get it paid out for the same time and child.

    Best regards,
  • Hej,

    I will be moving to Sweden from Germany in early January and start to work in Sweden at 15.1.18 and I have a question regarding health insurance.
    The german health insurance told me that I will not be covered if I don't have a place of residence in Germany. So my question is from which date am I covered by the swedish health care? As soon as I move there? As soon as I work there? As soon as I apply for the personal number? Or as soon as I get the personal number?
    I tried to find this out by reading a lot on the internet, unfortunately, there is a lot of contradictory information and I am very confused now.
    I just want to make sure there is no time in between where I am not covered at all. Accidents and illness tend to happen at the worst of times. 😉

    Tack så mycket!
  • Hi;

    Please be aware that Försäkringskassan does not deal with health care in Sweden.

    Usually, if you are living in Sweden and have a personal number, you have the right to health care here under the same conditions as all other citizens. But it is the tax authority, Skatteverket, that handles your registration in Sweden and your personal number, so I would you to contact them.

    Best regards;
  • Hej hej,

    My partner, my daughter and myself have moved to Sweden last year (may) and we got our personnsnummer in September 2017, but we still pay for our Dutch Health Insurance every month. In all of the messages above I read "You are covered by the Swedish health insurance once you receive Swedish personal number (personnummer) from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket)". How do I know, when we are covered by the Swedish Health Insurance?

    We started up our own business and I filled in forms in December from Försäkringskassan, but I haven't heard anything yet. What can I do or what do I have to do? We would like to do everything correctly, but it is hard when there are so many things unclear for us.

    Thanks for your time and your help!  :-) 

    Med vänliga hälsningar,

  • Hi;

    As mentioned previously, if you are registered with Skatteverket and have a personal number you are covered by Swedish health insurance. This does not depend on Försäkringskassan.

    The registration with Försäkringskassan is not for health coverage, but for social insurance. This includes things like parental benefit, housing benefit, or the European health insurance card. However, if you sent in your forms in December you will probably have to wait a bit longer for a decision, as the processing time of registration cases is around six months at the moment.

    We will contact you if we require more information in connection to your registration.

    Best regards;
  • I am 69 years old and have stopped working. I spent most of my life in South Africa but from 2003 I have lived and worked in the United Kingdom and New Zealand. I have a UK passport. I am now in Sweden where my one son and his family live.I intend to spend the forseeable future near my son and young grandson in Sweden. I do not have a pension from any country. I have money to support myself for some years. What health insurance can I buy that will allow me to apply to the Swedish authorities for personal numbers? How do I get a S1 form and from whom?
  • Hi;

    You can receive an S1 certificate if you for example work in one country and live in another. In that case it is the country where you work or receive your pension from that should provide you with an S1 certificate.

    If you require health certificate for Skatteverket and cannot receive an S1 certificate you should check what private options there are.

    Best regards;
  • Hi,

    I am a Non-EU citizen under a work Permit/Visa. I do have the EU blue card but its validity is tied to my Work permit/visa expiration date. Upon renewing my work permit which the processing period takes 13months does that mean I can not get a new EU blue card until then? What happens if I get sick in that interim period?
  • Hello,

    Please be advised that you don't need EU-card to get healthcare in Sweden. You are generally entitled to healthcare under the same conditions as other residents of Sweden if you are registered as a resident in Sweden and have a Swedish personal id number (personnummer). This means that you pay the regular Swedish patient fee for all care.

    Since it is a public forum, it is difficult for us to answer to questions regarding specific cases. We therefore recommend that you call our Customer Service for further questions on telephone number 0771 524524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm,

    Best regards,

  • Hi, I moved to Sweden two months ago and two weeks ago I applied to the Arbetsförmedlingen for a samordningsnummer but have not been notified yet.what should I do and how long do I have to wait?also I had continuously worked for 5 years prior to coming here.can I move my work insurance from my home country here,until I get a job?
  • Hello,

    It is the tax authority, Skatteverket, that handles your coordination number, so I would advice you to contact them.

    Concerning your question, if you can move your work insurance (unemployment insurance), unfortunately Försäkringskassan does not deal with it. You should contact your a-kassa organization concerning your question.

    Best regards,
The post is closed to further comments.