To latest comment
The comment you are looking for have either been moved to a new discussion or been deleted.

How is part-time leave calculated in days, and what are "periods" of parental leave?

Hello, how are you?

Our daughter was born a half of a year ago and we are trying to start to
understand some of the basic ideas of how to apply for parental leave.

*It said on the internet that there are 480 "days" of parental leave which
can be taken at a rate of 12.5%, 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100%, allowing parents to work part-time. Does this mean if the parents could work half-days at 50% for 960 days (i.e., day means a day of work), or does the rate not matter and it is always 480 days (day means a calendar day)?
(Also, would 25% leave mean that 75% of the salary would be usually paid by the company, then 80% of the remaining 25% of the salary would be applied for through Försäkringskassan (so basically, salary would be slightly lower for 100% parental leave than 12.5%, but much more time can be spent with the child)?)

*It was also written that parents have the right to divide up their leave into a maximum of three "periods" each calendar year, but what is meant by this?
For example, does this mean something like a continuous number of days, so that if the parents took leave on Jan. 1, 3, and 5, they would not have the right to take any more parental leave that year?
Or does this mean something like semesters or quarters of a year (or some time unit the company defines), like parents can take leave in the spring, summer, and fall, and then work in the winter?
Thank you.

Comments

  • Hello Martin.
    You are right about your calculation for the parental leave, if you take 50% parental leave, you can have 960 days where you work half the day and stay at home the rest of the day with your child. And yes, if you take 25% parental leave, your company pays you for working 75% and Försäkringskassan pay 80% of the remaining 25% of your salary.
    The answer to you second question:
    You have the right to divide up your leave into a maximum of three periods each calendar year. If you and your employer agree, you can divide up the leave into more periods. So, check with your employer what applies for you.
    Kind regards,
    Fredrik
    Fredrik
  • hej
    actually it's my question while I did not get exactly. if we imagine that my salary is 30000 and I take 100% leave. so I will use 480 days. so how much I will get in total from my employer and Försäkringskassan ? and If I go for 25% parental leave how much I will get again from both employes and Försäkringskassan ?



    Leila
  • Hello,

    Thank you for your questions!

    Parental benefit has different compensation levels. Generally, in Sweden, parental benefit is paid out for 480 days for one child. For 390 days, the compensation is based on the income one has (days at the sickness benefit level). For the other 90 days, the compensation is SEK 180 per day (days at the minimum level).

    The parent applying for parental benefit would need to have a right to a yearly income (SGI) to be able to be paid based on that yearly income. One has a right to SGI if they are employed for at least 6 months or the employed can be considered to be ongoing for at least 6 months. Parental benefit that is based on your income is called parental benefit at sickness benefit level (sjukpenningnivå).

    To receive parental benefit at sickness benefit level, you must have had an annual income for at least 240 consecutive days before the child was born. You do not need to have worked at the same workplace or had the same income the entire time, but rather it is the number of days with income that is important.

    If you work 75 %, your company should pay for that time. You can require parental benefit for the remaining 25 %.

    If you would like to count how much money you would be able to receive for parental benefit based on your current income, you can always use our online function called Kassakollen available here.

    You find information about the parental benefit here

    Since it is a public forum, it is difficult for us to answer to questions regarding specific cases. We therefore recommend that you call our Customer Service for further questions. Our telephone number is 0771 524524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm,

    Best regards,
    Hazan

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.