To latest comment
The comment you are looking for have either been moved to a new discussion or been deleted.

Housing Allowance as a International Student


I come from an EU country and will be studying in Sweden for two years. Are we eligible if we are registered in the tax office and have a Swedish Number?  Also, at the university we have health insurance, doesn't this mean that we are registered?
I would like to know in which case we could get housing allowance.

Thank you,


Anna Chesnier Report inappropriate content


  • Hello Anna,

    First of all, please be advised that registration with the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) and the right to health care are different concepts in Sweden.
    About your first question: “Are we eligible if we are registered in the tax office and have a Swedish Number?” If you mean the health insurance, you are covered by the Swedish health insurance once you receive Swedish social security number (personnummer) from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). Having a health insurance via the university does not mean that you are registered at the Swedish Social Insurance Agency and can apply for allowances.

    If you wish to read about health care in Sweden, more information in English is available here. You can find information about studying in Sweden here.

    In general, students from EU, EEA countries or Switzerland are not eligible for Housing Allowance because they are not considered Swedish residents and therefore is not eligible for social insurance. Remember that in order to apply for benefits from Försäkringskassan you need to be registered for social insurance.

    However, you can always send in the relevant documents so that Försäkringskassan can make a decision to see if you are covered by Swedish Social Insurance. After you receive a personnummer, you can fill in the registration application which is available in English here. Please give us further details on your studies on additional information and send it to us with the relevant attachments. Attachments are listed on the form in section 10.
    More information about housing allowance for young people (younger than 29 years old), you can find here and the application form here. You can send in the application for the housing allowance with the registration documents.

    For further questions regarding social insurance and benefits  you can contact our Customer Centre for private individuals on the telephone number 0771-524 524 (and press 8 to get connected to the English line)

    Opening hours of Customer Centre: Mon-Fri: 8:00-16.00, Sat-Sun closed.

    Best regards,

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.