To latest comment

Right to health care in Sweden for students from another EU-countries

Health Services (original title)

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am a student who's moving to Sweden from Spain in order to do his Master's studies in Malmö. My question is: in case I get sick, with the EHIC could I get treated in Malmö or would I need private insurance?

Yours sincerely,


  • Hello Javier,

    Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) does not administrate the health care services in Sweden. They are administrated by the Regions. If you live in Malmö, you belong to the Region Skåne.

    There is a national website where you can find most of the information concerning the Swedish health care system. On the page Health care for visitors from other countries you can read in general about what health care you can have the right to. Under the title If you are from the EU, an EEA country or Switzerland - Students you can find information about what applies for students specifically.

    For further question I advise you to contact the Region directly.

    Best regards,

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.