To latest comment

How does health insurance work in Sweden?

Health Insurance (Original headline)
My name is Makbule Karatas and I have double citizenship consist of EU citizen from Bulgaria and Turkey. Me and my boyfriend want to live together in Gothenburg. He has been already working as electrical engineer in Gothenburg for more than one year. I moved to Gothenburg two months ago and I have been still looking for a job opportunity in Gothenburg. I wanted to learn how to apply for registration to Skatteverket and visited there to ask requirements for it. They told me that, I need to bring some documents such as my health insurance.

My question is about health insurance. My parents have different nationalities (my mother is from Bulgaria and my father is from Turkey). We have been living in Turkey for many years. Hence, I have a public health insurance in Turkey owing to my mother’s retirement. Is this public health insurance by Turkey valid in Sweden or do I have to use my Bulgaria public insurance? Besides, I need to know specifically which terms should be written on health insurance paper in order not to get wrong one?

Thanks in advance,

Makbule Karatas
Makbule Karatas Report inappropriate content


  • Hello Makbule,
    thank you for your post.
    Please be advised that health insurance and social insurance are two separate things in Sweden. Försäkringskassan is the agency that is responsible for the social insurance.

    If you are planning on staying in Sweden at least one year, you must most often be entered into the Swedish population register. You do this by registering with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

    Having a personal identification number (personnummer) means that you are registered in Sweden as resident. By this registration (folkbokföring), you are covered by the health insurance in Sweden and entitled to medical care under the same terms as others who live in Sweden. This means that you pay the standard Swedish patient fee for medical care and the regular fee for dental care in the public healthcare system. If you have any questions concerning medical care and dental care in Sweden, please contact Landstinget (Region).
    You can find more information here

    Kind regards,

    Fredrik Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.