To latest comment

Health insurance without personal number


I live in Sweden and my wife is moving here soon from the Netherlands.
She just received her residence permit (she is a Russian citizen), and will apply for the personal number as soon as she arrives in Sweden.

The issue is that she is pregnant, and obviously needs an access to health care system immediately upon arrival, while obtaining personal number might take a few months.

Would it be possible for her to receive required medical treatment before she will be given the personal number?

Thanks and kind regards,


  • Hello!

    Thank you for your post.

    Kindly be advised that health insurance and social insurance are two separate systems in Sweden. Försäkringskassan is the agency that is responsible for the social insurance

    Having a personal identification number (personnummer) means that, you are registered in Sweden as resident. By this registration (folkbokföring), you are covered by the health insurance in Sweden and entitled to medical care under the same terms as others who live in Sweden.

    If one has difficulties obtaining health insurance one can apply for the form 5435 and send it to Försäkringskassan with the relevant documents that is listed on the last page. Försäkringskassan needs to process a registration case as well, to see if your wife will be covered by the social insurance in Sweden. Your wife needs to fill in the form 5456 and send it to Försäkringskassan with the relevant documents that is listed on the last page.

    We recommend that you call our customer service line for more information.

    You can call on 0771 524524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm

    Best regards,
    Helen Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.