Health Insurance

Dear all,
I am a German student doing my full Master's program in Stockholm. Nevertheless I am keeping my current residence in Germany in order moving back after the studies. I have a Swedish personnummer.
1.) Am I now covered by health insurance automatically?
2.) How would it be if I'd work for a German company that is based in Germany during my studies? This would be a special contract with a limited amount of hours per week to be still able to focus on the studies as it is the main activity. It is named "Werkstudentenvertrag" and mainly means I would be exempt from social security payments in Germany. Am I paying taxes in Germany still regarding to the tax agreement with Germany?
3) Furthermore, could I get a European Health Insurance Card as I am going to study a semester abroad in Spain?

Thank you in advance.
Julian Report inappropriate content


  • Hello,
    Thank for yours questions. You can read about health and social insurance here.

    Best regards,

    Gobdine Administrative officer
  • Hello,
    thank you for the answer. Unfortunately the linked case of Nelson does not fit to my situation as I am an EU citizen who studies his whole Master's programme in Sweden, having a personal number.
    Hence, I would need to know if I am covered by Sweden's Förskäkringskassan and how I could get a new updated health insurance card when I am not insured by a german health insurance anymore.
    Am I right that the german health insurance gives out the EHIC? Then I would require a formular named E-104, filled out by you that shows I am covered since I am in Sweden that I provide my german health insurance to get a new EHIC. Who would fill out that kind of formular?

    Would be glad about help.

    Thank you very much and best regards,

  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post!

    People who come to Sweden as students may not usually be socially insured here. But if you work in Sweden while studying, or if you are employed as a doctoral student, you can be insured and receive compensation based on work. However, we cannot give you a decision with full certainty on this public forum.

    If you are in need of benefits from Försäkringskassan, such as EU-card you need to be registered at Försäkringskassan. We need to first investigate if you will be covered by the social insurance in Sweden and have right to get the EU-card. When your registration is approved, we are going to send the EHIC that you applied for on the form to your home address.

    In order to be registered at Försäkringskassan you should fill out and send form ​5456​​​You should write that you would like to apply for the EU- card and certificate E104 in point 11. “Other information” on the form. Along with the form you should send the additional documents that we may require, listed on the last page of the form.

    If you have BankID you can send the form (5456) online. You should log into Mina Sidor (My pages) with your BankID or Mobilt BankID. Then, you should follow this instruction: click on all e-services (alla e-tjänster) > others (övrigt) > lämna uppgifter för utredning av Försäkringstillhörighet

    Since it is a public forum, it is difficult for us to answer to questions regarding specific cases. We therefore recommend that you call our Customer Service so that we can check your case.

    Best regards,
    Hazan Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.