To latest comment

Health insurance for unemployed spouse


My husband and I are German, still live in Germany and plan to move to Sweden next spring. My husband is going to work for a Swedish company starting October 1st. So as I understand he will have health insurance as soon he's registered at försäkringskassan.

I am currently not employed. So I wonder what my status will be? Is there some kind of "family insurance" for married couples (as it is in Germany)? Or do I have to take care of health insurance myself as long as we still live in Germany?

Tack så mycket!

Best regards Florian
Florian Report inappropriate content


  • Hello,

    Thank you for your questions!

    Please be advised that health insurance and social insurance are two separate systems in Sweden. Försäkringskassan is the agency that is responsible for the social insurance.

    If you are planning on staying in Sweden at least one year, you must most often be entered into the Swedish population register. You do this by registering with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

    Having a personal identification number (personnummer) means that you are registered in Sweden as resident. By this registration (folkbokföring), you are covered by the health insurance in Sweden and entitled to medical care under the same terms as others who live in Sweden. This means that you pay the standard Swedish patient fee for medical care and the regular fee for dental care in the public healthcare system. If you have any questions concerning medical care and dental care in Sweden, please contact Landstinget (Region).

    You can find more information here.

    Best regards,
    Hazan Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.