To latest comment

Health insurance for UK citizen with personnummer

Hi there,

A UK citizen with personnummer but no bank ID yet. How do I show försäkringstillhörighet? How long does the process take for this to be approved? Do I apply for a EU health card through Sweden or the UK? Is it advised to add an additional private health insurance?

Thank you,


  • Hello,

    Thank you for your questions!

    Please be advised that health insurance and social insurance are two separate systems in Sweden.

    Once you have a personal ID-number and registered your address at Skatteverket as resident in Sweden, you are entitled to medical and dental care under the same terms as others who live in Sweden. This means that you pay the standard Swedish patient fee for medical care and the regular fee for dental care in the public healthcare system. If you have any questions concerning medical care in Sweden, please contact Landstinget (Region).

    In order to be registered at Försäkringskassan you should fill out and send form 5456. On the application form you have to state that you wish to receive EU card. As soon as you registration is approved, we are going to send the EU card to your home address. Also along with the form you should send the additional documents that we may require, listed on the last page of the form. You can download form here.

    Unfortunately the processing time for registration cases are very long at the moment. We do not have specific processing time when it comes to registration but it can take several months.

    If you want to read more about social insurance you can find more information on our website.

    If you have any further questions, please contact us on 0771-524 524 (press 8 for english).

    Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.

    Best regards,

    Hazan Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.