To latest comment

Foreign income for parental leave calculation

Hi, my spouse applied for registration with you last August, she can log in in MINA sidor and see her profile, but she not receiving yet the child allowance. How can we check if everything is ok?
Moreover she wants to start to take the parental leave, she hasn't worked in Sweden before since she moved here recently but she worked in our home country. Can she use the income that she had in our home country for the calculation of the benefit she will get here and in this case does she have to insert her salary befor or after taxation? Thanks

Gianluca Moretti Report inappropriate content


  • Hi Gianluca!

    Processing time for registration cases can be between 3 and 6 months depending on the situation and if we have all the required documents. If she would like to know more about her ongoing case, she needs to contact our Customer Centre for private individuals on the telephone number 0771 524 524.

    Her income can be taken under consideration when calculating her Sickness Benefit Qualifying Income (SGI) if it was an income from another EU, EEA country or Switzerland and if she managed to protect it. Protection of income means that after your last day of employment in that country you started to work or study, registered yourself as a job seeker or claimed a work related benefit, such as Sick or Parental Benefit in Sweden.

    Best regards,

  • Hi Aneta,
    thanks for your answer. She protect her income in our country. So does she have to consider the salary that she had first or before taxes?

    Gianluca Moretti
  • Hi,

    she needs to write her income before tax when filling in the application for a benefit.

    Best regards,

  • Hi,
    What does protecting an income exactly mean? How do you do it in practice?
    What time span do you have between leaving your job in another EU country and registering for parental benefits (and registering for a personal ID before that) in Sweden?
    Many thanks in advance,
  • Hello Tim,

    Protection of income means that you are entitled to receive sickness benefit, parental benefit or other compensation that is based on the income you had before you became unemployed.
    You can find detailed information about protecting the sickness benefit qualifying income
    here under the title “What happens to my sickness benefit qualifying income if I lose my job?”

    In your case, if you have worked six months or more before you left your job in another EU-country, you must register yourself with the Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen). It suffices if you are registered within three months after you became unemployed. In other words, once you receive your personal identity number (personnummer) from the Swedish Tax Agency, you need to also contact Public Employment Service (Arbestförmedlingen) in order to register yourself as job seeker.

    Then, if you would like to apply for parental benefit please send your application for parental leave with the 5456 form “Information required to obtain social insurance cover” which you can find here. Together with that form, send us relevant attachments that you can read under point 11 on the form, and the documents providing information about your previous job in another country.

    Moreover, please be advised that if you cannot receive parental benefit based on your income, you still get parental benefit in an amount of SEK 250 per day for the days at the sickness benefit level.

    To get more information you can contact our customer center at Telephone number 0771 524 524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.

    Best regards,

  • Hi,
    Recently we moved to Sweden with our 1yr old son because my husband found a job over here. I will continue my own business in the Netherlands because it's an online business which i can easily manage from home. Because i'm a sole trader it means that i'm not an employee in my own business and i receive my income from my profit/divident. That means i have to pay my income taxes in the Netherlands. I'm wondering if that will affects me in future (in case we're lucky enough) when we receive a second baby and i'm planning maternal leave. Am i able to use my dutch income (based on that profit/divident)?
    We already received our
    Kind regards,

  • Hello!

    Thank you for your post! Since this is a public forum we can not reply if the income for your parental benefit can be based on your income from the Netherlands. Generally in order to be entitled for parental leave in Sweden you must be socially insured in Sweden and fullfil the requirements for getting parental leave.

    For more information on parental leave you can read here. You can also contact our customer center by calling to +46 771 524 524 (for English press #8).

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:
    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm,

    Best regards

    Adem Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.