Foreign diplomats in Sweden

Do foreign diplomats who are living, working and registered in Sweden entitled to medical care in Sweden? Does Försäkringskassan provide any services for diplomats registered in Sweden?


  • Hello!

    Thank you for your post!

    According to the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations, all diplomats sent to work in Sweden are socially insured by the country they are sent from.

    However, if you are a diplomat from within the EU, EES or Switzerland, you can obtain a certificate to help you get medical care in Sweden, you will need to fill in the form 5456, and attach the certificate S1/E106 you have from the country you are sent from and send it to The Social Insurance Office (Försäkringskassan).

    Kindly be informed if you are a diplomat sent to work in Sweden from a country outside of the EU, EES or Switzerland, the EU regulation becomes inapplicable.

    For more information please contact our customer service by dialing 0771 524 524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.

    Best Regards
    Helen Administrative officer
  • Dear Madam or Sir,
    We have recently moved to Sweden. We are diplomats from another EU country.
    Where can we find the form 5456 and how can we obtain the certificate S1/E106?
    Thank you in advance for your reply,

    Bruno Vandecasteele
  • Hello,

    The form 5456 is avaible on our website here.

    You should obtain the certificate S1/E106 from the country that send you to work in Sweden. If you have any questions about that you should contact the social insurance agency in that country.

    You need to send this certificate in original to:

    Försäkringskassan, Utlandsärenden
    Box 1164,
    621 22 Visby

    Best Regards,

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.