This entry is old and may contain information that is not up-to-date.

fee for european

I am in Sweden for three months, with my baby.
We both have european card, but I understand this is only for emergency.
How do I proceed if I or my child need a medical advise? Can I get him vaccined and "checked" (weight and size....) here?
I have heard that foreigners european with their cards paid even more if they are not registered at Försäkringskassan! Is it true? If so, where can I find the fees?


  • Hello!

    The European Health Insurance Card entitles you to necessary medical and dental care while you are in Sweden. Necessary healthcare refers to medical care that cannot be waited until you return to your home country. With the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you pay the same amount for medical and dental care as those who live in the country (Sweden).
    Moreover, one is covered by the Swedish Health Insurance once the person receives the Swedish personal number (personnummer) from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). If you have to seek medical care and you do not have a personal number, you need to pay the full price for the health care.

    Remember that health insurance and social insurance are regulated by two different institutions in Sweden. Försäkringskassan is the agency that is responsible for the social Insurance.

    Please be advised to contact Skatteverket, if you have questions regarding from which date you will be registered as a resident of Sweden (folkbokförd). If you have further questions regarding the Healthcare in Sweden and possible reimbursement, you can contact Landstinget. (Region).

    Best regards

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.