This entry is old and may contain information that is not up-to-date.

Doctor abroad

Hi försäkringskassan team,

I have a question about compensation for costs from a doctor visit in another EU country. I was in Germany for a funeral (I was very early pregnant) and I didn't feel well. I went to a doctor there to get checked up. I now received a bill that I have to pay because I still haven't received my European Health Insurance card (I applied for it twice already and haven't received any info).
My question now is how to get compensated for this bill. I have to pay it until Jan 4th 2018, I got the bill in the mail, so I can make copies.

Please let me know how to proceed.
Thank you and have a great new year 2018.

Antje Märtin


  • Hi Antje;

    In normal circumstances a Swedish EU-card gives you right to urgent medical care in Germany under the same conditions as people who are insured in Germany.

    If your registration with us is not complete yet, then you cannot have a Swedish EU-card yet and you will have to pay for the medical treatment in Germany. Later, when we register you and send you an EU-card, you can ask us to reimburse you for your medical costs abroad. You may do this by submitting form 5425 (available on our website to download or fill in online). In that case just make sure you save the original bills as we will require them to process your reimbursement.

    In any case, I would recommend you calling us on 0771-524 524 (press '8' for English, available from 08:00 until 16:00) to see how your registration case is going and if there is any other solution in your specific case.

    Best regards;

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.