To latest comment

Registration at Försäkringskassan

I come from another EU country and work in Sweden now. Do I have to register myself at Försäkringskassan?

Försäkringskassan Report inappropriate content


  • Hi,

    If you are in need of benefits from Försäkringskassan, certificates for health insurance abroad, EU card or dental services you need to be registered at Försäkringskassan. To do that you should fill out an application FK 5456 (Uppgifter vid utredning av försäkringstillhörighet) and send it to us with the relevant attachments. Attachments are listed on the form below the section 10.

    The form can be downloaded here.

    Best regards,

  • Hi

    I have some questions about my registration forms, I have sent it there already and theyou sent me back about my employers information, the thing is my employer didn't give me back the form and I haven't heard anything from them , I am still working with them now till the 26th of january, I'm going to stop working with them due to my pregnancy and I'm giving birth on february 10 , my question is what is the best thing for me to do if my employer refused to fill out the form,

    Mayrald Jean Layda
  • Hello!

    If your question is regarding the registration application to verify your social insurance eligibility, that is if you should be covered by social insurance in Sweden or not, then we only require that you send us a copy of your employment contract.

    If you are pregnant and you have sent us the certificate about your preliminary date of delivery, then you have most likely received application where we are counting your yearly income. When counting persons yearly income (SGI), we need to verify the information with the employer. In case the employer is not answering our requests, the best course of action for you would be to send us your payslips from last year or as many months as you can (max last 12 months).

    Best regards,

    Natalia Administrative officer
  • I have mobile Bank ID, how do I send in the registration form electronically?
    Thank you!

    Laura Servidei
  • Hello,

    In order to send the registration form 5456 electronically, log in on our website with the use of mobile Bank ID.

    After logging in choose “Alla e-tjänster”, then click on “Övrigt” and finally choose the last button “Lämna uppgifter för utredning av försäkringstillhörighet”. When you filled in all the information on the form, sign it with the use of mobile Bank ID again.

    Best regards,
    Aleksandra Administrator
  • Hi i am a EU citizen and i have found a job post in Sweden so i am about to move in January.I would like that my parents (also EU citizens) who have a pension from Greece to move with me in Sweden.The Greek state issues a S1 certificate for my father who has the pension for 1 year (until the end of 2018) but for my mother who is his wife the State gives a S1 certificate from December 2017 to February 2018 ( every February her insurance is renowed automatically)and they ask me to apply again in February to take a new S1 certificate valid from February 2018 to February 2019.Will my parents have health insurance after we move? Can we all apply to Forsakringskassan after we arrive and have health insurance and send the new S1 certificate for my mother  to Fosakringskassan when it is send to us by post from Greek authorities in February?
  • Hello,

    When you register yourself as a resident here in Sweden and receive personal number (personnummer) from The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) you will be automatically covered by the Swedish health insurance. This means that, you are entitled to medical care under the same terms as others who live in Sweden and you should pay the standard patient fee for the care in the public healthcare system.
    You should contact The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) regarding how to be registered as a resident here in Sweden.
    Regarding the E121 (S1) certificate, you can send the E121(S1) certificate from Greece to Försäkringskassan together with FK5434 form, once you have received a personal identity number from the Swedish Tax Agency.
    You can also find more information about moving to Sweden here.

    Since this is a public forum, we can only give you answers to general questions however your situation might depend on other factors. Please call us on: 0771 524 524 (press 8 for English) if you have more questions.

    Best regards
  • Hi, I am a visiting researcher form china. I am sponsored by Chinese government to study abroad, but we don't pursue any degree, mainly to learn how to do some research with guidance of Swedish tutor. Chinese government gives me 13,000 kr every month, but having no any income form Sweden. I received a letter letting me fill some inform about insurance from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency. Now I have a problem is about whether I am working or studying?
    At the same time, my wife and our children came Sweden with me. My wife came here to study as a visiting research, but financially supported by herself, and she didn't have any sponsor from Chinese government and have any income for Sweden, then whether she is working or studying?
    Thank you very much.
    Tanghong Liu
  • Hi;

    In normal circumstances, we do not consider student grants to be a form of salary. The only exception is with some Marie Curie-grants, which can be treated as salaries.

    I would recommend that both you and your wife write that you are studying in Sweden. You should attach information about the financial support you receive from your home country and we will see if we can class it as a salary, but otherwise you will be considered students according to our rules.

    Best regards;
  • Hello, I have a similar question.
    I have been studying here since August 2016 from another EU country (Austria). I do have personnummer, as well as a EHIC (but no more insurance in Austria).
    So I was wondering if I already do have Swedish insurance (since I have personnummer), or if I need to file something (5456?)? Thank you for your help!
    Tanja Richter
  • Hi;

    If you have a personal number and are registered as living in Sweden, then you have the right to health care in Sweden like all other citizens in the country. If you visit a doctor in Sweden you should provide your personal number, and not an EU-card.

    Even if you have right to health care in Sweden you might not be socially insured here. Social insurance is required if you for example want to apply for parental benefit or housing benefit. If you ned any benefit from Försäkringskassan you may fill in form 5456. We will then process your registration and decide if you should be socially insured here.

    Best regards;
  • Hi,

    I have lived in Sweden for 4.5 years, worked here full-time for 3.5 years and married to a Swedish citizen for 2 years. I am from UK and I have a personnummer, full time employment with a Swedish company and I am folkbokförd in Sweden.
    I applied for Sjukpenning (gravid-illamående) in April 2018 and my employer has also filled in the necessary forms. I even received a call from an FK administrator in May to ask final questions and tell me the money would be processed in a few days. Then nothing. In June I get a letter saying I must fill in form 5456 to show I am entitled to social insurance, and a decision could take 1-3 months. I am pretty stressed as Im also expecting my first child in November, and had understood that if I am folkbokförd in Sweden then I should already be registered with the förskaringkassan system. I called Forskaringskassan to follow up but they said I would just have to wait on a decision on form 5456.
    I don't understand what has happened? Can you give me more information on the process and why this form is suddenly required if I am folkbokförd and full time employed?

    Many thanks,

    Mhairi Nybom
  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post.

    This should be the first application that you have sent to Försäkringskassan. Since you do not need to report to or register with Försäkringskassan before you apply for a compensation, a certificate or EHIC card, we did not make an investigation before to see if you are covered by the social insurance in Sweden. That is why, after your sickness benefit (sjukpenning) application, Försäkringskassan needed to get more details about your situation in Sweden and required you to fill in the form 5456. We unfortunately don’t get those details automatically from The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) or from your employer. And being registered to Skatteverket (folkbokföring) does not mean that you are registered with Försäkringskassan. You are generally insured in Sweden if you live and are employed in Sweden. We just need to process your documents in detail.

    Best regards,
    Özge Administrative officer
  • Hello,
    I am from a non-EU country. I have been in Sweden for 1.5 years now, working with a full-time contract at a university/Stockholm. I received my personal number in February 2018 and my employer said I would automatically benefit from health insurance coverage without the need for any application. However, my dentist says that the system does not recognize me as being under coverage and instructed me to send a registration form, which I have done about 3 months ago now. I also attached my work contract and a copy of my resident permit to the mailed  application form. The system at the dentist still does not recognize me as being under coverage. Could you please instruct me on what I should do? Should I again mail the registration form? Is it a matter of time and I should simply wait? Or there is probably another way to register that I am not aware of? Thanks a lot for your or help. All the best.
    Leila Bahri
  • Hello,
    Thank you for your post.

    Once you are registered at the Swedish Tax Agency (personnummer/folkbokföring) in Sweden, you are entitled to medical care under the same terms as others who live in Sweden. This means that you pay the standard patient fee for care in the public healthcare system. However, in order to receive benefits, in your case, the dental care subsidy for your dentist visit, you need to be registered at Försäkringskassan. Here you can read more about the national dental care subsidy.

    Right now we unfortunately have a long processing time and you should wait. You do not need to send in the form and your employment contract once again. If the case officer requires more information they will contact you.

    Best regards,
    Özge Administrative officer
  • HI. I Come to sweden about 8 months ago to live with my husband. I filled form Fk 5456 about seven months up to Now i didnt received barnbidrag (childbenefit) for my 2 kids and ididnt received parentalbenefit i also applied seven months ago. The irony is that am registered with swedish Tax agency and försäkringskassan . I dont know what is wrong . 
    Halima Mohamed Hassan
  • Hello;

    Form 5456 is used to register with Försäkringskassan. If you have not received a decision letter about this form or about your child benefit, it probably means that your registration is not complete yet. This would not be unusual since we have very long processing times for these cases.

    If you want to check if there are any updates in your case you have to call us on 0771-524 524 (choice 8 for English).

    Best regards;
  • Hi.
    I would like to know which law do you refer to when you decide either a person can or cannot be considered insured in Sweden. I am looking after specific conditions and/or pre-requisites one must have to be insured. I cannot find this information anywhere - in English at least.

    Thank you.
    Tiago Novo Duarte
  • Hello,

    The legislation that we refer to when making a decision is called the social Insurance code (2010:110). If you are moving from another EU/EES country or Switzerland you can be covered by the regulations 883/2004 and 1231/2010.You can find a guidance in our website in Swedish about the specific conditions and/or pre-requisites to be socially insured in Sweden.

    Best regards;
  • Hi I just moved here in Sweden a month ago. I have been granted with resident permit to live with boyfriend. I have already got my personummer and have already registered to Ärbetsfåmedlingen. I just registered to academic SFIA today and waiting for them to call me for a meeting. I am just wondering if I can get a benefit from you since it's hard for me get a job because of the swedish language requirement? Your response is much appreciated.
  • Hello,

    If you are not registered at Försäkringskassan, please read this previous thread.
    If you have already received your personal numbers from Skatteverket and are registered at Försäkringskassan you are entitled to apply for (for example):

    - If you and your boyfriend are younger than 29 and your total income is low, housing allowance for young people (more information here)

    -If you are participating in a programme through the Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen) then you might be eligible for compensation from Försäkringskassan (more information here)

    -If you have child/children then you can read more here and this old thread about parental benefits and child allowance.

    If you have additional questions, please call our Customer Support on 0771-524 524 (press 8 for to get help in English).

    Best regards,

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.