This entry is old and may contain information that is not up-to-date.

Dental Care

I came from Turkey to study here for 2 years. I registered on Skatteverket meaning that I have an ID number.  My question is, I have a broken tooth and want to go Folktandvården for dental care. Should I pay or is it covered by the agreement between Turkey and Sweden? I also saw that it is free for young adults under 25. So is it valid for Non-Eu people too?


  • Hello,

    The agreement between Turkey and Sweden is not applicable in this matter. In order for you to be able to pay cheaper price at the dentist, you need to make sure that you are registered at Försäkringskassan and covered by the social insurance in Sweden. Even if you have a personal number, it does not automatically mean that you are registered at Försäkringskassan.

    If you are not registered yet, you have to pay the full price. In the meantime, you can send us registration form 5456 so that Försäkringskassan can make a decision to see if you are covered by the Swedish Social Insurance. Together with this form you need to send us the copy of your residence permit “uppehållstillstånd”. On the point 11, please write that you would like to apply for dental care allowance. When the registration case is completed you can contact your dentist to ask if you could get a refund.

    Adults, even people who come from non-EU countries, can be entitled to the general dental care allowance if they are covered by the social insurance in Sweden.
    To be able to check if you have been registered and insured, the easiest way is to contact our Customer Centre for private individuals on the telephone number 0771-524 524 and press 8 for assistance in English.

    If you would like to know more about general subsidy and high-cost protection, more information is available in English here.

    Best regards,
    Özge Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.