To latest comment

Cost of dental treatment for a 71 year old person


I am a British citizen now living in Sweden.  I have an ID Card and personal number.  I am 71 years old.  I visited a dentist this morningand was charged SEK1065 for an inspection and must now go back for 2 more appointments each costing SEK2000.  It looks like the total cost will be around SEK 5000.  Do I get any assistance with this or do I have to pay the full cost?  Thanks


  • Hello John,

    You can be entitled to the national dental care subsidy if you are considered to be resident in Sweden according to the laws and regulations governing social insurance in Sweden. In order to determine if you live in Sweden, Försäkringskassan weighs in on, among other things, how you live, from which country you receive your income, how long you are going to stay in Sweden and how often you visit other countries.

    By submitting the form 5456 Moving to or working in Sweden, Försäkringskassan assesses whether you should be insured in Sweden and have the right to compensation from us.

    If you have a Bank-ID, you can submit the information online using the e-service on My pages (in Swedish, Mina sidor).

    You find more information on the dental care subsidy on our website.

    Best regards,
  • Hej,

    I have visited a dental hygienist today and paid 1660 SEK. The dental hygienist told me that I am not part of Forsakringskassan, so I had to pay the full amount (I was not aware of having to register myself, I am 24 years old and I have lived in Sweden for almost 2 years now). I have now filled in the form 5456 "Moving to or working in Sweden" via the e-service. Can I get reimbursed retrospectively for today's dental visit?

    Thank you!

    Best Regards,
  • Hello Yvonne!

    Thank you for your post! If you were entitled to any kind of benefit retrospectively Försäkringskassan contacts after you are registered.

    Best regards,
    Adem Administrative officer
The post is closed to further comments.