To latest comment

What is the procedure for registering a child born in another EU country ?

Child born in another EU country (original headline)
My wife is EU citizen, but I am not.
I have been working in Sweden since a few years ago and both my wife and I have permanent residency and personnummer and live in Sweden.
Our kid will be born in Germany (the baby will have German citizenship) and we will back to Sweden ~1 month after the child has born.

1- For registering the baby in Skatteverket, we need to be in Sweden and present the birth-certificate from Germany. But before that, do we need to apply for rights of residency or residency permit from Migrationsverket? or that is not needed (since my wife is EU citizen and baby also), and we just directly go to Skatteverket for personnummer?
2- When shall we register the new baby in Försäkringskassar? After we get the personnummer? or this can be done at the same time as we apply in Skatteverket? Can this be done online?
3- From when I can use the parental leave for my new baby? Assuming that we will be back in Sweden on April 1st, how long it takes until I can use the parental benefit and receive the payment for my parental leave?


Nanomater Report inappropriate content


  • Hello!

    Thank you for your post.

    In regards to your first question, please contact the Migrationsverket and the  Skatteverket.

    After the child receives the personal number, please send in the form 5456 so that the child will be registered and socially insured in Sweden, to our address as mentioned below;

    Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral
    SE-839 88 Östersund.

    Please, remember that if the child has two guardians, then both of the guardians need to sign in the registration form 5456.

    Kindly be informed that you can send in an application form for the parental benefit along with the form 5456.
    We cannot answer your questions on when you will receive payments for the parental benefit, we will first need to investigate the forms accordingly.

    In need of more information about social Insurance and parental benefit, please dial to 0771 524 524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.
    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm

    Best regards,
    Helen Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.