Child Allowance

good day !  I am a citizen of an EU country.  I have been working in Sweden for a year and a half.  There is a payer number and is socially insured in Sweden.  My wife and children live in another EU country, can I get child support here?  if so, what documents, forms, papers need to be filled out and where to send them. ???
Viktors Report inappropriate content


  • Hello,

    Thank you for your question!

    In order to receive child allowance from Forsäkringskassan you must be covered by the social insurance in Sweden. You can send in the registration form 5456 so that we can process your registration case first in order to see if you are covered by the social insurance in Sweden and have rights to social benefits such as child allowance.

    There is no specific application for child allowance. Once your registration case is processed the case officer will see that you have a child and will send a message to the child allowance department to start the case automatically.

    If you work in Sweden and have a child who lives in another member state, you may be entitled to child allowance from Sweden. If both parents work in different countries, they are entitled to child allowance from both countries. Generally, the country in which the child lives has primary responsibility for paying child allowance.

    Cases like that require communication between both countries and do not have fixed processing time. Försäkringskassan will provide information to the other EU country about the fact that you have applied for EU family benefits. Countries have to decide which one is the primary one to pay the family benefits and that is why the communication is required. Depending on when you have been registered the case can take between few months up until a year.

    You have to fill out the registration form 5456 and send it to us with the relevant attachments. The required attachments are listed at the end of the form. You can find the form here.

    You can find more information ​here​​​

    Since it is a public forum and we need further details about your case, it is difficult to answer to your question. Please contact our Customer Centre for private individuals on the telephone number 0771-524 524 and press 8 for assistance in English.

    Best regards

    Hazan Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.