To latest comment

Child Allowance for Newly Arrived Master student's family

Im Asiri from Sri Lanka.I read few Forums discussing about Child allowance. To clarify further,  Under student resident permit  My Kids will never eligible for Child allowance, Am I right? , but, If my wife or my Self will be able to receive a Job offer and if we convert our Student resident permit to Work permit, we can enjoy such benefits right? or what will happen if we earn from a part time job as a student and become a tax payer in Sweden. Then Will we eligible for Child allowance?
please explain.
Thank you.


  • Hello!

    Thank you for your post.

    The general rule is if you come to Sweden as a student you are not eligible to register with The Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan). This rule applies also for the accompanying family members of the student.

    If an individual starts working in Sweden, generally he or she will be socially insured in Sweden, meaning that they may be entitled to different types of compensation from Försäkringskassan, such as child allowance and sickness benefit. You will first need to register yourself at Försäkringskassan by sending the form 5456.

    Here, you can find out what applies to individuals who are moving to Sweden.

    Since it is a public forum, it is difficult for us to answer to questions regarding specific cases. We therefore recommend that you call our Customer Service for further questions. Our telephone number is 0771 524524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm,

    Best regards,
    Helen Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.