To latest comment

Can I take parental leave if my wife unemployed?

Hello! We moved to Sweden, and I see on my pages that I have 240 days for parental leave
1) Can I take 90 days for parental leave if my wife unemployed?
2) How much from my salary I'll have for parental benefits after 1 year of work?

Thank you


  • Hi Vladimir,

    1) Yes you can, the right to the parental benefit do not depend on if both parents are employed or not.  

    2) The general rule is that when a child is born the parents have 480 days of parental benefit available for the child. The first 180 days that parents apply for have specific conditions.

    First of all, those days need to be on S-level (sjukpenningnivå). The second rule says that if a parent is employed those first 180 days on S-level can be paid out based on the current income but only if the parent that is applying for those days has been employed for 8 months before the child was born and if that parent's yearly income was at least 82 100 SEK.

    The parent applying for parental benefit would also need to have a right to a yearly income (SGI) to be able to be paid based on that yearly income. One has a right to SGI if they are employed for at least 6 months or the employed can be considered to be ongoing for at least 6 months. For example a person has worked only 4 months but the contract is signed for 6 months and the person is still employed. In such case we can expect that the employment will continue and the person would have right to the SGI.

    After the first 180 days of parental benefit has been use for the child, the parents can apply for days on both S or L level if they wish to and the condition of being employed for at least 8 months before the birth of child with specific minimum income is not required anymore.

    If a parent does not fulfill the condition of employment before the birth of the child, then the benefit could be paid on a basic level which is 250 SEK per day before tax.

    If you would like to count how much money you would be able to receive for parental benefit based on your current income, you can always use our online function called Kassakollen available here.

    More information is available in English here.

    Best regards,

  • Hello,

    I have moved to Sweden along with my wife and 2 and half years old son. I am currently employed and my wife is unemployed taking care of our son. I wanted to know about the parental benefit we are eligible for!

    1.If I want to apply for my part of parental benefit separately - then do I need to apply for leaves from my current employment for the number of days I want to avail the benefits? Or, can I avail the parental benefits together with my current employment (so that I do not take break from my active job)?

    1. Second question, since my wife is unemployed and she wants to avail parental beneifts. She hold Personal number as well (but not Swedish ID card yet).Can I transfer all my leaves to her to avail both of us parental benefits? Since she does have have an Swedish ID yet, can she apply for the benefits by visiting forsakringskassan Office?

    2. Since my wife does not hold any bank account in Sweden, can she link her paid out benefits to my Swedish bank account? Can she do it by visiting forsakringskassan Office? Or, she will need to mandatorily open bank account in Sweden to receive the benefit payments?

    You answer will help as plan accordingly.

    Thank you!
  • Hello,

    1. Parental benefit has three different compensation levels. One level is based on the size of your income, while the other two levels pay you a fixed amount per day.

    The sickness benefit level [sjukpenningnivå] is based on your sickness benefit qualifying income. It applies to you when you have a job and income. On the parental benefit application you mark the day with S or sjukpenningnivå. If you are eligible to take parental benefits based on the level of your salary, you can not take the parental benefits together with your current employment (you cannot be at work). This means that when you apply for this level of parental benefit, you have to be all day with your child.

    The second compensation level, referred to as the basic level [grundnivå], is SEK 250 per day. You are eligible for the basic level if you have had little or no income. On the parental benefit application you mark the day with S or sjukpenningnivå.

    The third compensation level, referred to as the minimum level [lägstanivå], lasts for 90 days. The minimum level is SEK 180 per day. On the parental benefit application you mark the day with L or lägstanivå.

    You are eligible for full parental benefit at the basic [grundnivå], or minimum [lägstanivå] level if your child is at the day care for no longer than 7 hours a day or you work no longer than 7 hours out of a 8 hour working day.

    2. You can send to your wife some of your days. You can do this via Mina Sidor if you have a bank ID. If you do not have a bank ID apply on the form 7470 „Anmälan avstå föräldrapenning”.

    If your wife does not yet have a bank ID, she needs to apply for parental benefit on the paper form which she can order by calling the number: 0771 524 524 or by visiting one of our offices. Keep in mind that the payments of parental benefit can be done only if you are registered at Försäkringskassan. Check if both you and your wife are registered, if not send us an application 5456 „Utredning av försäkringstillhöringhet” with the relevant attachments that are listed under point 11 on the form.

    3. We can pay out your wife’s benfits to your account. Your wife needs to fill in a document 5606 „Fullmakt utbetalning till annan person” which you can find on our website.

    Since this is a public forum, I can only answer your questions based on the information you have given in this post. If you would like to receive more detailed information regarding your case, it is best if you call our support on: 0771 524 524 (press 8 for English).

    Best regards,
  • Hello,

    Thank your for the revert.

    Recently I had vistied one of the Försäkringskassan service offices to apply for the parental benefits for my wife. I was told that a new rule has come up one / two weeks before and we can not apply for more than 100 days (together). We can apply for only 100 days, as our child is more than 2 years old. Is that so, kindly confirm?

    Also, when I log in to my Försäkringskassan account (online). I do still see that we are eligible for 480 days and I can transfer 180 days of my leave to my wife.

    I find it confusing now with new rule. Can we still apply for 240 days each. We came to sweden in first week of May and we are already registered in Försäkringskassan on 1st June. So, wil the new rule affect us? If still we can apply for 240 days each, which is the valid forms we should download and apply?

    Please help clear our doubts.

    Thank you!
  • Hello,

    The Swedish Parliment (Riksdagen) took a decision to lower the amount of parental benefit days for children that came to Sweden after they turned 1 year old. The decision was introduced on the 1st of July 2017.

    According to this decision the children that came to Sweden after they turned 2 years old, will be given maximum 100 days of parental benefit in total.

    This decision concerns children that moved to Sweden after 1 of July 2010 and they were back then older than 1 year old, and their parents did not take any parental benefit before the 1st of July 2017.

    The new law was introduced on the 1 of July however please keep in mind that you can apply for parental benefit for up to 90 days back from the day that we receive the application.

    At the moment you can still see 480 days in the system, however after you send us your first application, we will check how many days of parental benefit you are eligible to and adjust it in the system accordingly.

    It is also important to underline that, this is a public forum and we can only answer to questions in general. You can also contact our Customer Centre on the telephone number 0771-524 524 (press 8 for English) to get further information on your specific case.

    Best regards,
  • Hi,I came in Feb in personal number and Swedish card...I ve two kids 3 year and 8 year old...
    I want to ask about child allowance as m a house wife....
    And parental benefits...I also have swede bank account....
  • Hello,
    You can read about child allowance here.

    Regarding taking parental benefit when your child is in school and if you do not work or study, you can find information in this page and under "Frequently asked questions".

    Once you make your application for parental benefit, you can register your bank account on the application.

    If you would like to receive more detailed information, it is best if you call our support on: 0771 524 524 (press 8 for English).

    Best regards,
    Özge Administrative officer
  • Hi I want parental benefits..
    My 3 year old daughter is going to preschool only 3 days for 15 hours...I am doing SFI classes and taking care of her on 4 days...Monday,Friday, Saturday, Sunday.. Can I get any benefits?
  • Hello!

    The Swedish Social Insurance Agency has limited abilities to answer questions relating to individual cases on this forum. We therefore ask you to contact our customer center if you have questions relating to your specific case by calling telephone number 0771 524524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line.

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm,

    You can also find information in this page and under "Frequently asked questions".

    Best regards,
  • Hi. Recently I have moved to Sweden to my husband.   He is working.  I have gotten personal number. And I am pregnant. What kind of allowens I can have after my baby will born? I didn't work in Sweden. Thanks
  • Hello,

    Kindly read the previous posts (for example by Özge 30 May) in this thread for answers to your questions.

    Best regards,
  • Thanks for information.
    I visited forsekrinskassa office in order to submit the form 5456 and certificate of my pregnancy. But the officer said that I have to wait for 6 months to get the decision . But the delivery date approximately in 23 of March. To whom and how can apply to make faster the process?

  • Hello Moony!

    Thank you for your question.The processing time for registration cases are very long at the moment. It can take up to 6 months or more. However, it also depends on what kind of compensation you need from Försäkringskassan.

    To get more information about your specific case, It would be best if you can call us on 0771 524 524 (for English press 8).

    Best regards,
    Adem Administrative officer
  • Hello.
    My name's is Munira. I moved to Sweden to my husband.  Two month ago I applied for registration and submit the form 5456 and certificate of my pregnancy. There are no decision yet. My baby was born and she is already registered in my page. Now I have to apply for child allowens.  How can I do it?
  • Hello Monny,

    Thank you for your post!

    There is no specific application for child allowance (barnbidrag). Once you are registered, the case officer will see under the family relations that you have a child and will send a message to child allowance department to start the case automatically after you have been registered.

    You can read more about child allowance here

    Best regards
    Hazan Administrative officer
  • Thank you for your reply.  As I understand I will not get my child allowens while I am not registered?
  • Hello Monny,

    Thank you for your question. Försäkringskassan will first process the registration case before making any payments.

    Best Regards
    Helen Administrative officer
The post is closed to further comments.