To latest comment

Away from Sweden for few months

My son and wife been to India on urgent basis and will return back to Sweden in April 2018
They have already in India now, it will almost for 6months away from India.
Please advice whom to report on this travel.



  • Hello!

    The general rule is that if a person lives in Sweden and then goes abroad, that person is still considered living in Sweden if their stay in abroad does not exceed period of 1 year in EU or 6 months outside EU. That means that if you go to abroad for period of 6-7 weeks you do not need to deregister from Försärkingskassan.

    However, staying outside Sweden for longer period may affect the Swedish social insurance coverage. So, if you are moving to another country you should fill out and send to us a form 5459. You can find the form here.
    Försäkringskassan will then determine whether you still have the right to be covered by the Swedish social insurance or not.

    If you have more questions, we there recommend you to call our customer center in order to get answer for your questions.

    Remember that the Swedish Social Insurance Agency has limited abilities to answer questions relating to individual cases on this forum. We therefore ask you to contact our customer center by calling telephone number 0771 524524 and press 8 to get connected to the English line

    Our telephone lines are open the following hours:

    Monday – Friday 8.00am — 4.00 pm,

    Best regards,

  • Hi,

    I have a related question.

    If someone has to go on a short visit abroad less than 6 months, while the child is in Sweden with other parent, would he/she be eligible to continue to receive child allowance and parental benefits?
  • Hello,

    According to the information given, yes, the other parent can continue receiving child allowance and parental benefits.

    Best regards,

    Özge Administrative officer

Add your comment or create a new post

Your name and post can be seen by everyone.Your e-mail will never be shown publicly.